We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mexico with less than 3 months left on passport

2 posts
Save Topic
Mexico with less than 3 months left on passport

Hello, we are going to Mexico on the 8th of June and have a couple of family members who are interested in joining us for a week. The only fly in the ointment is that one of the passports expires in August, is this likely to cause a problem?? Thanks

15 replies to this topic
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
25,566 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mexico with less than 3 months left on passport

It won't be an issue with the Mexican authorities but if your airline requires passengers to have six months validity left on your passports, they won't allow you to board the plane. Check with your airline.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 20:48
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Mexico with less than 3 months left on passport

Everything I read says no ... you need 6 months.

But I’m a newbie so let the experienced travelers advise.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
25,566 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mexico with less than 3 months left on passport

"Everything I read says no ... you need 6 months."

With the utmost respect, perhaps you could cite a few sources because I am quite sure that Mexico does NOT have the six month rule, at least for passengers from the US, Canada and UK (i.e. the vast majority of posters on these forums).

As previously noted though, AIRLINES can set their own requirements in their rules of carriage and if the OP's airline has the six month rule, then his family members won't be allowed to bard the plane.

Lots of posts on this in the forums and I've personally travelled to Mexico with less than six months left on my passport with no issues at all. (I was flying with Westjet that doesn't have the six month rule and when you book with them, the confirmation paperwork clearly states that all is required is a VALID passport.)

United States
Level Contributor
716 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mexico with less than 3 months left on passport

We were in the same boat and chose to pay the additional expedited fee and received the passport in 2 weeks. Yes, they say you can come into mexico, but there is always a chance that a Mexican official will want to detain you and cause you aggravation. He also can just not let you enter the country. Will he do this? Probably not, but do you want to risk it? I didn't so i renewed my passport for my upcoming trip.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,197 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mexico with less than 3 months left on passport

We just had that same issue on our last trip to Mexico in March. My wife's passport expired 2 weeks short of the 6 months that Mexico required on her passport. I was concerned but the only problem we had was that we could not fill out her Mexican immigration paperwork online...The system required 180 days

Otherwise no one said a word about it.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,481 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mexico with less than 3 months left on passport

Mike C- everything Hola Gata said is correct. There is no six month rule, BUT some airlines are 'requiring' it.

If you are Canadian you are unlikely to have a problem- most of the time it's US airlines that are doing it.

I would call your airline and see what they say.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mexico with less than 3 months left on passport

American Airlines tried to tell me I could not board because my passport was going to expire within three months. Because I am a resident of Mexico and have the ability to renew my passport at the US Consulate, they had to let me board. It was a big hassle and I had to show my Mexican IMN issued residency card to get on the plane. I could not renew my passport in advance because of a terminally ill family member and unsure of when I would have to travel with no notice. If I was going on vacation, I would not risk it.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
181 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mexico with less than 3 months left on passport

I concur with post #4. Apply for an expedited passport. Since it’s a renewal it shouldn’t take more than a couple of weeks to receive.

Edited: 16 May 2018, 01:32
utah
Level Contributor
293 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mexico with less than 3 months left on passport

Why risk it? You can get an expedited passport in 8 Days. It is up to the airline, and even at times the strictness/attention to detail of the gate agent. Pay the e tea $75, get a new passport, and avoid the risk.

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
1,174 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mexico with less than 3 months left on passport

Get it renewed. I renewed mine in January, I did not expedite, and it took 10 business days.

Reply to: Mexico with less than 3 months left on passport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted