We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cancun weather in may??

Hamden, Connecticut
4 posts
Save Topic
cancun weather in may??

so nervous. me and my husband planned a trip next week from may 21-24 in cancun. but it says rain/thunderstorms everyday which chances of 80% or 60% on some days.and UV is only moderate, with 24hr. percipitation at 0.53'' and 0.79''. has anyone been recently, been in May, or is there now to tell me what the weather is like??!!!!

8 replies to this topic
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cancun weather in may??

The Tropical wave that past through here for several days brought heavy rains to the region. That system is now heading to Florida, which might be the first named storm in May in a while. There is another disturbance over Central America that is trying to make its way up here to the Western Caribbean as well. Thats why the 80 to 90% chances of rain everyday are appearing on weather sites. Here is a tidbit from the NOAA guys.

The GFS model has been predicting during much of the past week that an area of disturbed weather over Central America could act as the seed to get a tropical storm spinning in the Western Caribbean 7 – 12 days from now. Water temperatures there are near 28°C (82°F)—plenty warm enough to support a hurricane. The subtropical jet stream—which is typically located over the Caribbean in May, creating high wind shear that interferes with hurricane development—is predicted to lift northwards by late in the week, creating conditions favorable for tropical cyclone genesis. However, the long range runs of the European model have not been supporting this idea, and Michael Ventrice of The Weather Company, has explained that the GFS model suffers from a known bias in over-predicting tropical cyclone formation in the Western Caribbean this time of year.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/gulf-mexic…

Mentioned in this post
The Tropical at Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Resort
The Tropical at...
5,136 Reviews
Dominican Republic
Florida
Florida
United States
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: cancun weather in may??

Hi,

My husband and I are travelling to Mexico for our late honeymoon on May 17th and staying for ten nights.

According to the weather, there are thunderstorms :(

We have been looking forward to this for months and feel a little disheartened at how the weather has turned out.

Was just wondering if we will still be able to do excursions or have dry days to relax on the beach?

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: cancun weather in may??

Go on google and type Hyatt Ziva live webcam this will give you a very good indicator of what the weather is really like.

Mentioned in this post
Hyatt Ziva Cancun
Hyatt Ziva Cancun
6,268 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: cancun weather in may??

I also have been a little nervous about the weather for my trip in June. But, after reading all of the posts in here I have been checking the forecast for each day, then checking the web cams throughout the day. It has put my mind at ease! I was worried that we would have non stop rain, and now I'm feeling pretty secure that while we may get some rain, it's very unlikely to be rain all day, every day!

Today's forecast says Thunderstorms. I've looked at the webcam a few times today, and I haven't seen any rain on the webcams so far today!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cancun weather in may??

Here are the statistics.

www.cancun-discounts.com/cancun-weather.htm

Hamden, Connecticut
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cancun weather in may??

SO you are there now? How has the weather been?

5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: cancun weather in may??

I've been here since May 12th. Weather Channel called for 80-100% chance of rain everyday. First evening it poured, one midday it rained for 1-2 hours and we've battled some cloudy sky's off and on. But overall, weather has been gorgeous and nothing like what the forecast was calling for.

Hamden, Connecticut
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: cancun weather in may??

Ok thank u so much I feel so much better !!

Reply to: cancun weather in may??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted