We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Laguna mar or Royal Caribbean with teens?

Massachusetts, USA
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Westin Laguna mar or Royal Caribbean with teens?

Looking for a 5 night vacation with our teen boys late August. Usually do all inclusive but looking to save money this trip. Wondering if we should choose the Westin or Royal resort? Boys are 15 and 17. I have also never been to Cancun, we usually go to Riviera Maya so we are not familiar with the area at all. Thanks for any advice......

9 replies to this topic
New Windsor, NY
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin Laguna mar or Royal Caribbean with teens?

Definitely the Westin Lagunamar over Royal Caribbean.

Another option would be to stay at the Royal Sands, but book through an owner to opt out of all-inclusive.

Check out omcancun.com or redweek.com for Royal Sand rentals. You would have to rent Sat-Sat, but still may be cheaper than 5 nights at Lagunamar.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
170 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin Laguna mar or Royal Caribbean with teens?

We stayed at the Westin Lagunamar and I think your teen boys will like it there. Right across the street is La Isla Shopping Center which is an outdoor mall like the ones in the states.

Massachusetts, USA
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin Laguna mar or Royal Caribbean with teens?

Finsky......any reason why not the Royal Caribbean?

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin Laguna mar or Royal Caribbean with teens?

The Westin has a HUGE beach area and the location is great. La Isla Mall is right across the street.

Massachusetts, USA
Level Contributor
1,000 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin Laguna mar or Royal Caribbean with teens?

I just saw there is some resurfacing of the infinity pool at the date we plan to go so most likely pool and restaurant by pool will be closed at the Westin. Bummer

Bismarck
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin Laguna mar or Royal Caribbean with teens?

We have stayed at both, each in the past year and a half. Both were great, but Westin Lagunamar is better. Location, beach, age of resort, etc....

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
11,942 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin Laguna mar or Royal Caribbean with teens?

I'd agree but for a different reason: Westin Lagunamar has a washer/dryer in the unit.

On the other hand the Royal Caribbean is a beautiful resort that has a gorgeous stretch of beach, is attached to the Royal Islander which gives you more restaurants available and two pools. The free shuttle runs hourly from the front of the resort to the Royal Sands where you can also use their facilities. The Sands is adjacent to Plaza Kukulkan for shopping etc. The Royals have nice grocery stores on site and the Caribbean has an ice cream shop and coffee shop in the lobby and a sports bar.

Your choice.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin Laguna mar or Royal Caribbean with teens?

We stayed at the WLM last year (end of August) and loved the resort, but I was going to comment on the pool/pool bar closings. The upper pools and slide were closed for reno when we were there last year. That was not as bad because the infinity pool is larger and close to the beach (where we spent most of our time anyway). Not having access to the infinity pool would be tough and one of the reasons we decided to skip the resort this year. If you decide to stay there anyway, it is a fantastic resort with friendly staff and an excellent location. We will go back again soon.

The original plan was to continue with the infinity pool/pool bar renos last year, but weather issues forced them to delay those project to this year.

New Windsor, NY
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin Laguna mar or Royal Caribbean with teens?

I've never stayed at the Royal Caribbean, we always stay at the Royal Sands. It's newer with a younger crowd. I've heard that the Royal Caribbean has an older crowd which your teens may not enjoy.

Reply to: Westin Laguna mar or Royal Caribbean with teens?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted