We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in Pesos or USD

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping in Pesos or USD

Would it be best to tip in Pesos or USD?

39 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in Pesos or USD

Always use the currency of the country you are in. Otherwise it can create problems for the recipients and of course unnessecary expense

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
6,493 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in Pesos or USD

You can absolutely tip in USD! No problem at all. We have asked staff and they love US money and have no problem spending it or changing it. Just bring lots of smaller bills. The US dollar is strong.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in Pesos or USD

Okay great! Thanks!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
61 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in Pesos or USD

We were in Cancun in April and US dollars were widely accepted for bills, tips, taxis, etc. No issues.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,498 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping in Pesos or USD

Of course you can use the dollar. But why not use the currency of the country you are in. I have many friends in the tourism industry and while they will tell you dollars are okay, they prefer pesos. Of course they will accept either. I often hear them discussing among ourselves why people would use dollars in their country.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,158 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping in Pesos or USD

I think when people in the tourism industry say they love USD, it means 1 of 2 things: they are being polite and just hoping for a nice tip, or in the case of vendors, they are giving you a terrible exchange rate for your USD, so they make extra money off of you.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,498 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping in Pesos or USD

I think you got it totally correct, nm.

Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping in Pesos or USD

Our staff prefers pesos. But if someone won't be "inconvenienced" to get the local currency they probably won't tip if they think the staff only wants pesos so most people will take dollars over nothing. If you do tip or pay in dollars, please make sure the bills are not torn or written on. Often these cause problems for people trying to exchange them. I "buy" these bills and US coins from people and save them for when we visit the states.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping in Pesos or USD

I only bring USD to Cancun so that is what I tip with. No point bringing pesos. All stores, vendors, tours etc in Cancun and Isla Mujeres accept USD as payment. Most things are already priced in USD anyways. Pesos seems to be a secondary currency in Cancun

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Devon, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping in Pesos or USD

Oh dear unfortunately I am going with pesos so staff with have to make do :) Coming from the UK I wouldn’t buy US$ as the rate is poor, so I’ll stick with pesos :D

Reply to: Tipping in Pesos or USD
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted