We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safest way to get to and from clubs

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Safest way to get to and from clubs

Hello. What would be the safest way to get to and from the clubs in Cancun? I heard you’re not suppose to “hail” a cab. How safe is the bus that runs down the hotel zone for night time activities?”

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
11 replies to this topic
Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
6,484 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safest way to get to and from clubs

You can do either. Just ask before you get in the cab how much it will be before you get in so they don't over charge. They will take both US and pesos.

The bus runs all of the time and is a great way to get to and from the clubs if you are staying in the hotel zone. Just ask the folks at your hotel which one. They are only $1 pp each way.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safest way to get to and from clubs

Great. Thanks!

Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Safest way to get to and from clubs

Noted on buses, but what if you want to take a cab? With all the gang violence, is it advisable? My BFF and I want to head out to Cancun to party on a Saturday night, but I am scratching my head on how to get there as I wil not be trusting of any taxis. What do you guys think of Uber in Cancun?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safest way to get to and from clubs

I think it would be a surprise to all ,if drug gangs take taxis. Mostly they take armored vehicles, or Bentleys, Mercedes etc.

so yes you will be fine taking taxis.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safest way to get to and from clubs

We were in Cancun in March for a week and I used the bus every night and did not once feel like I was not safe.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safest way to get to and from clubs

I would not advise Uber in Cancun at all. The app works but it's technically not legal, and there is a lot of tension with Uber drivers and Taxi Drivers. The last two times I used it in Hotel Zone it was very awkward and uncomfortable. Three of my co-workers used it and a taxi driver noticed and bashed the Uber driver's rear windshield in once they got out of the car.

I used to never be sketched out taking taxis in Cancun, Playa, Tulum, et al, despite some weird experiences but with the recent robberies, etc., I would probably pay extra and get a private shuttle service for the night. Super Shuttle is also a very trustworthy company, albeit more expensive. Your hotel concierge can probably hook you up with one. Also, I have had hotels hook me up with taxi drivers who offer to take me back to my hotel when I'm ready to go home, I just have to call them and they show up in 10 minutes or so. A little sketchy but more trustworthy than a random one off the street.

It all just depends on your concern level vs. money you're willing to spend. How far is your hotel from the clubs and have you ever been to Cancun before?

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Super Shuttle
Super Shuttle
721 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safest way to get to and from clubs

Thank you all for the great answers! I will be staying in the hotel zone and I have never been to Cancun before

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safest way to get to and from clubs

As long as you are staying within the hotel zone, you should be able to figure out safe transport pretty easily without too much expense.

Your hotel concierge should be able to help you with whatever you need, and you won't be going far enough to get scammed or worse. Safe travels and have fun!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
859 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safest way to get to and from clubs

I think the Cancun bus system is the best I've ever used. Buses are frequent, cheap and efficient. Always felt safe. It's so easy to use in the Hotel Zone. 12.5 pesos one way. Taxis are over priced and will gouge you if given the opportunity.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safest way to get to and from clubs

Do they accept USD on the bus?

Reply to: Safest way to get to and from clubs