We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

london
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

Please can anyone give some advice regarding tipping in an AI resort. As a typical Brit we are not as comfortable or as used to tipping as our American friends. What service should I tip? How much for each? Thank you.

5 replies to this topic
Bonnyrigg, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

Hi Daisy,

As you've probably seen there are many thread on this and people have their own set of views etc. Our people to tip list varies depending on what type of resort we are staying in, how mcuh self service is involved and who serivces we use. Typically- transfer driver, bellboy, room maid, (minibar and turndown if you have that), bartenders and waiters (more for full serivce meal, less for buffet). If your resort has pool/beach servers we tip then instead of bar staff as they are the ones running after us. Other people may include tour guides, spa service providers, butlers, restaurant greeters and concergies, but not all resorts have these.

The amount of tip depeneds for us on the service - (in pesos) 40-100 for buffet meal, 20-50 for a drink (although if we are staying in 1 area for a time we tend to tip larger at start and see how we feel come the end), 100 for bellboy (2 suitcases), 100-200 for transfer driver, 50-100 for maid. 100-200+ for full service meal. But really it is up to you..

Villa Ridge...
Level Contributor
104 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

If you stay in one place a lot, like the pool, tip your server well and you get amazing service!

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
738 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

There's been several threads recently in this forum regarding this subject, and it's been a lively topic indeed.

Here's what I did for our trip this past December in Cancun:

Housekeeper: 60 pesos/day

Mini-Fridge Stocker: 20 pesos/day

Drinks: 20 pesos/round for the server or bartender

Restaurants: 60 pesos at breakfast & lunch, 100 pesos at dinner typically

Deciding to tip and how much is a personal decision. Base it on how you feel about the service that was given, not peer pressure from others. My wife & I were treated like royalty, so I made sure to take care of those who made our trip so memorable!

Edited: 12 May 2018, 14:19
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
london
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

Thank you for your replies everyone - you’ve all been very helpful

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
235 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

It may seem like you are obliged to tip everybody you meet but there are no rules, just do what you are comfortable with and know that any tips are appreciated

Reply to: Tipping
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted