We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need an advice regarding the weather in cancun

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
Need an advice regarding the weather in cancun

I booked a vacation for me and my kids to cancun and now the weather forecast shows that there will be thunderstorms and rain durin out vacation which will start at May 12 and end on May20. Please I need an advice should i cancel?! I have only one day to cancel the trip!

9 replies to this topic
Bismarck
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need an advice regarding the weather in cancun

No, don't cancel. This is the rainy season, but its tropical rainy season - which means the rain and storms are sporadic and come and go. It may rain and thunderstorm everyday, but these are typically short-lived. Plus, if you watch radar and forecast, you can figure out where the best places to be that day. The forecast and radar continually change. Yes, there could be risk of a more extended storm, but that doesn't happen often. The quick summer thunderstorms are typical.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
30,104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need an advice regarding the weather in cancun

Watch webcams instead of forecasts

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Need an advice regarding the weather in cancun

I had the same question. Please see here.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g15080…

We will be there from May 12-18.

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need an advice regarding the weather in cancun

Thanks a lot everyone

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need an advice regarding the weather in cancun

Watch tropical outlooks instead of forecasts. Look at NOAA. Tropical storms will be 100% rain; everything else is just passing thunderstorms.https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php

For the next couple of weeks there is no tropical storm activity according to the national hurricane center.

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
6,635 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need an advice regarding the weather in cancun

It almost always shows rain. Often it is just for a short time. As mentioned above it is the tropical storms that you need to watch for. It has been calling for rain for weeks now and I have had relatives and friends there and the weather has been beautiful! When it rains it can rain hard but often for a short time. Go and enjoy your trip!!

Level Contributor
59 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need an advice regarding the weather in cancun

Don't cancel. Thunderstorms are no big deal in Cancun. They last about 20 or 30 minutes then it clears up and it's nice again. Both trips I have gone once last May 2017 and this January 2018 both had thunderstorms on the radar and it did rain but only for a short time maybe 20 minutes. each time. It rained here and there but it was no big deal. It's really normal in tropical places to rain off and on. Go have fun and don't worry about the weather!

Edited: 14 May 2018, 08:43
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Need an advice regarding the weather in cancun

How’s the weather ?

4 posts