We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exit tax

Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Exit tax

Can anyone tell me how much the exit tax is please

27 replies to this topic
Caribbean
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Exit tax

The most recent forum post I've seen (last week) reported 1150 pesos per person, or US$65 or £50.

A couple of days ago, the TUI website stated 1350 pesos, but that site has not always been reliable. If correct, it means the tax has increased.

It would be great if you report back about what you paid.

Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Exit tax

What exactly is an exit tax? A tax to go back to US?

Caribbean
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Exit tax

All tourists who fly to and from Mexico must pay the Mexican Tourism Tax and the International Airport Departure Tax.

Almost all airlines collect these taxes as part of the airfare (check your itemized receipt and you'll see them listed) so nothing to pay at any airport.

However, TUI/Thomson of the UK do not collect these taxes which means passengers with TUI must pay them as a lump sum before checking in for their departure flight from Mexico. That's why some people refer to it as a departure or exit tax. It's only passengers with TUI that have to pay this at the airport.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 14:15
Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exit tax

My son has just been told he has to pay 20 pesos per day at the hotel in Mexico. We can’t find out if this is true,he’s going with TUI.

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
315 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exit tax

Told by who.The exit tax is paid at the airport and nothing to do with the hotel

Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exit tax

I think thats the environmental tax

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exit tax

TUI just sent an email,I know about the tax you pay at the airport as we have just got back from Mexico but we didn’t have to pay anything at the hotel.

Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exit tax

How much was the departure tax please

Caribbean
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Exit tax

That 20 pesos per day charge was introduced last year -- it's the environmental tax -- nothing to do with the tax you pay at the airport upon departure from Mexico.

10. Re: Exit tax

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 May 2018, 08:13

Reply to: Exit tax
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted