We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adjoining rooms - what am I missing?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
197 posts
5 reviews
Adjoining rooms - what am I missing?

Not specific to the Cancun area, but since I hang around in these forums and we are going to Finest Playa Mujeres next month, I thought I would pose the question here.

Is there an awesome benefit to adjoining rooms that I am missing? By adjoining, I do not mean rooms that are connected via an interior door, but rather rooms that are simply next door to each other.

I have read reviews of Finest and many, many other resorts that have mentioned a request for adjoining rooms not being met and the negative effect it had on their vacation. It IS disappointing when a request is not fulfilled, sure, but to the point that it affects your vacation?

If you are traveling with kids and need a separate room for them - that is different. I get that. But these reviews I have read concern groups of adults and I truly do not understand the importance. Maybe I am missing something - if I am, please tell me. We are going next month with a group, and maybe we have been missing out, but we do all of our socializing around the resort, not in the rooms.

So when you travel to a resort with a group, do you request adjoining rooms? Does it impact your vacation if that request is not met? Why?

Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
new york
Level Contributor
585 posts
225 reviews
1. Re: Adjoining rooms - what am I missing?

Good afternoon- I agree with thatlady- we were 4 couples staying at Le Blanc for a birthday celebration. We did not have adjoining rooms- some were not on the same floor either. We did not care- nor did we request adjoining rooms. We met on the beach or at the pool - took some excursions together, shopping etc. We had a fabulous time and were never ‘on top of each other’. When we travel with family, it is nice to be maybe on the same floor but adjoining rooms was never very important to us and in no way had any impact on our fun

Northern BC
Level Contributor
192 posts
1 review
2. Re: Adjoining rooms - what am I missing?

We travel with my mother in law and nephew. Our last cruise we happened to get connected rooms, I have to say it was great, we could chat easier go back and forth. I would request them again. Would it ruin our vacation if we didn’t get it... no but it was nice.

3. Re: Adjoining rooms - what am I missing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 May 2018, 07:22
Edited: 10 May 2018, 07:22

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cancun
Level Contributor
6,871 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Adjoining rooms - what am I missing?

Your not missing a dog gone thing!

There is more drama on the Playa Mujeres forum than the all the reality shows like New Jersey house wives, Beverley Hills house wives, Dallas house wives, Atlanta, New York, etc,etc. all put together.

So, in other words just let it go in 1 ear and out the other as it is 99% puff IMO. I enjoy my kids being close to my room and not on the other side of the resort but not a deal killer. The room is to shower and sleep.

We, on the Cancun forum asked / or requested for TA to start another forum just for them to get us outta that drama queen bad dream.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
197 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Adjoining rooms - what am I missing?

Thanks, this is about what I thought!

It's not just on the PM forum - I read a lot of reviews of different resorts in the greater Cancun area, and this pops up fairly frequently. It just surprises me, because I'd never think to request an adjacent room with the rest of my group, much less have this negatively impact my vacation.

We use our room for showers, sleeping and quiet time - it's our space to go when we need to get away from the group for awhile. It almost seems to me that having adjacent/adjoining rooms would be a negative for us, not a positive.

Thanks!

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
6,722 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: Adjoining rooms - what am I missing?

I read complaints too. I can see if going with your kids of course or with elderly family members but if going with a group of friends it shouldn't matter at all. People can text easily now so meeting up plans are quick and easy. I am thinking having big groups of friends in several rooms close by would not be great for noise either. When we travel with family we just text...quick and easy! People give bad reviews because the hotel couldn't get 5 rooms in a row together for a group of friends....unreal! Also when a hotel is busy getting rooms together is a difficult task.

I agree thatlady .....having some space is important as well if with friends.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
251 posts
111 reviews
7. Re: Adjoining rooms - what am I missing?

We requested adjoining rooms - traveling with a big group of people with our kids. It wouldn’t have ruined our trip to not be near each other - but it certainly made our trip better because they were able to accommodate us. It was easier with all the kids to be in one area! We also didn’t have texting abilities because no one paid the price to use their phones in a foreign country and honestly I did not want to be attached to my phone on vacation!

Reply to: Adjoining rooms - what am I missing?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted