We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mobile phone advice

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
mobile phone advice

We (family of 5) travelling to Cancun in June. We have 5 mobile phones to take on holiday. Whats the cheapest way to phone each other when in resort? (to arrange lunch etc - we still do actually have conversations face to face and are not massive phone users).

We are from UK and use O2 as our provider. We are staying at Azul Beach resort - Sensatori.

The reason Im asking is we have just come back from UAE and had a big bill from several simple short phone calls.

Can you FaceTime or use WhatsApp call?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Azul Beach Resort & TUI Sensatori Resort Riviera Cancun
Azul Beach Resort & TUI...
10,669 Reviews
Puerto Morelos, Mexico
4 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mobile phone advice

Providing you can get WIFI at the resort you can use WhatsApp (I use this) for texting or phoning and I presume Facetime (never used) and you don't need to use your data at all. I left my phone on airplane mode for the whole three months I travelled so I never incurred any fees. All you require if WIFI access

Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
305 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mobile phone advice

I'm on three and it is expensive to use my phone in mexico. I would switch your mobile data off when you board the plane and just use your resorts free wifi for messaging apps (imessage, whats app etc). if you want to use your phones away from the resort then it will become costly.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mobile phone advice

excellent advice. Thanks for that. will switch off mobile data and use the WhatsApp.

Cheers

Ireland
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mobile phone advice

Plus 1 for turning off data roaming and just relying on WhatsApp. Most hotels have such good WiFi reception that keeping in contact won’t be a problem.

Reply to: mobile phone advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted