We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash or Revolut card?

Budapest, Hungary
6 posts
Save Topic
Cash or Revolut card?

Hey, I’m going to spend 2 weeks in the Yucatan peninsula (Cancún, Tulum, Valladolid, Mérida, Isla Holbox) and I was wondering what shall I do about the money?

Of course I will have cash with me, because at stands or at markets I can pay with that, but I mostly want to use my Revolut card, because it’s safer than to walk around with cash. If you live there or went there, is it fairly easy to pay with Revolut in shops? Are there a lot of or a few ATMs where I can withdraw pesos?

Thank you.

8 replies to this topic
Ireland
Level Contributor
41 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash or Revolut card?

I’m a huge Revolut fan and use the card every time I travel; however I am in Mexico at the moment and am not using my Revolut card as you cannot transfer funds into Mexican pesos. Yes, you can use the card, but your funds will have to be transferred from pesos to the currency your funds are held in for each transaction, so not as convenient as having the pesos pre loaded on your card.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
47,477 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash or Revolut card?

Have to admit, I had never heard of Revolut. Thanks to this thread, I just read up on it. Interesting!

Beavercreek, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,039 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash or Revolut card?

New one on me as well

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
7,718 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash or Revolut card?

#1 Revolut gives a good rate of exchange so it’s not an issue., as no fees are charged for purchases overseas. I use my card on an almost daily basis.

#2,3 Revolut is the best regarded prepay card in the UK. I am not sure if its T&Cs are as good for Americans.

Edited: 09 May 2018, 23:36
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash or Revolut card?

I'm going to mexico in June and planning on using my revolut card. Can you still use it at an atm in Mexico to withdraw pesos even though it's loaded with British pounds?

Bonnyrigg, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash or Revolut card?

Marcvitie, yes i'm sure thats exactly how it works. Just watch out for ATM that charge a fee. We've been loving our card but haven't taken it to Mexico YET!

Edited: 10 May 2018, 22:33
San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
7,718 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash or Revolut card?

I use my Revolut card on an almost daily basis, mostly for Uber and for purchases. You can only withdraw up to £200 a month (approx 5,000MXN) without incurring a fee from Revolut. Check to see what that fee is before you make a large withdrawal. The fee charged by the Mexican bank ranges from about 30-80MXN per transaction. Otherwise, there is no surcharge by Revolut as yet on purchases. Mexico uses chip and pin just as in the UK, but no contactless as yet.

The Revolut card is better value for me than using the debit card issued by my UK bank.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 22:43
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash or Revolut card?

Thanks for that yeah I'm pretty sure that's how it works. Not actually used mine yet at all. Seems a great idea though saves carrying loads of money plus you can just spend what you need to. If I had 1000 pound worth of physical pesos I would probably spend the lot. This way I can just use what I need then transfer it back to my bank once back I'm in the UK

Reply to: Cash or Revolut card?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted