We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting a group from Veracruz to Xalapa and back

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting a group from Veracruz to Xalapa and back

My extended family will be visiting the Veracruz area for the wedding of my son in August. He's marrying a young lady from Xalapa. We will be staying a few days in Veracruz, then traveling to Xalapa for the wedding and returning to Veracruz for the flight home. There will probably be about 10 of us. I've heard very good reviews about the area bus service, but hesitate to use it with such a large group of non-spanish speakers, some of whom are senior citizens. Would we all be able to get on the same bus? Is it safe? Can we get a bus back to Veracruz from Xalapa on a Sunday? I've looked into hiring a driver and tourist bus, but can't find a service. I would appreciate any suggestions and advice. Thank you in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Veracruz
Veracruz
Veracruz, Mexico
Xalapa
Xalapa
Veracruz, Mexico
3 replies to this topic
San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting a group from Veracruz to Xalapa and back

Here is a link to the biggest bus rental company in Mexico. They have buses of all sizes

http://www.ttur.com.mx/inicio

Edited: 20 May 2018, 03:22
Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting a group from Veracruz to Xalapa and back

An average first class bus should seat at least 35, I think. I've taken ADO between Veracruz and Xalapa, and if you don't end up with a private solution, I think this is workable. My advice would be to buy your seats a day or two in advance, if possible, to ensure you're all on the same bus together. That way you could all arrive with tickets in hand and simply get on the bus, no need to wait in line as a group to buy tickets.

It's a common, busy route, so there shouldn't be any problem getting seats. And yes, there are buses from Xalapa back to Veracruz on a Sunday.

Mentioned in this post
Veracruz
Veracruz
Veracruz, Mexico
Xalapa
Xalapa
Veracruz, Mexico
Monteverde Costa...
Level Contributor
650 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting a group from Veracruz to Xalapa and back

There is extremely frequent bus service between the two. Its only about a two hour ride and lots of people going between the two.

Yes you can all get on the same bus. the only thing is to have someone be able to ask the seller if the next bus has 10 seats. They could show you the bus seat layout on the computer screen maybe. You wont have to wait long at either terminal. Sunday no problem.

In Xalapa get cabs right at the exit to the terminal and dont try to walk down to the street if there are any people that may have difficulty walking.

Xalapa is really nice. Be sure to plan on going to the Arch. museum. In some ways I thought it was better than the Mexico city one. It really is a must see museum. Absolutely stunning. The zocalo downtown area is also very nice and sort of unique in its own way.

Have a great time and I think your family is going to be very happy that your son is marrying a Mexican woman. You will soon have a much bigger family. Although you probably already know that.

have fun!!

Mentioned in this post
Xalapa
Xalapa
Veracruz, Mexico
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Reply to: Getting a group from Veracruz to Xalapa and back
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Veracruz