We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xanlapa or el Tajin?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
72 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Xanlapa or el Tajin?

They are both really long days so I probably need to choose one tour. Love the idea of seeing the big Olmec or Toltec heads. But I love ruins. Anyone been to both?

9 replies to this topic
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xanlapa or el Tajin?

I have been to both, hard to decide which is better. Where are you staying?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
72 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xanlapa or el Tajin?

Veracruz. It looks like the time is about the same for either. Are the ruins in El Tajin large? And are there interesting things to see in the pueblo? Is the pueblo very big?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xanlapa or el Tajin?

I wouldn't think the ruins would take more than a couple of hours, tops. Maybe not even that long.

I did it from Xalapa -- I took the bus from there to Papantla, I think it was 4.5 hours each way. I remember leaving at like 4am. It was a LONG day but I was glad I went. I didn't see much of Papantla -- the square has a church, volador demo, etc.

I really liked the large Olmec heads at the museum in Xalapa.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
72 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xanlapa or el Tajin?

I was looking on TA and the tours are Xalapa + Coatepec 11 hours.

El Tajin + Papantla 12 hours.

Both from Veracruz

Do you know about Cempoala or Quiahuiztlan?? They have a combined tour that they say is 5 hours. But I read that Cempoala is only 27 miles from Veracruz.

Sorry but I just asked you 4 questions.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xanlapa or el Tajin?

I looked at the bus schedule. Veracruz to Papantla is 3.5 to 4 hours. So 12 hours is probably correct. A car and driver would be faster.

Xalapa is much closer to Veracruz, though. There are buses like every 30 minutes, it shouldn't take more than 2 hours. So you could pretty easily go to Xalapa and see the museum (take a taxi from the bus terminal) in much less than 11 hours. That's without Coatepec, though.

I don't know about Cempoala or Quiahuiztlan.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
72 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Xanlapa or el Tajin?

Thank you very much for your input. It really helps.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
72 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Xanlapa or el Tajin?

Well, I went to Xalapa. The anthropogical museum is really good. Has the large Olmec heads and much more. And it was just the right size. Then went to the Pueblo Magico (not real magic but interesting) and from there to an out of the way waterfall. Would have loved to go to the archeological site but decided it was just too far away. I took the ADO bus there and a taxi back.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Xanlapa or el Tajin?

Was the waterfall in Xico, the Cascada de Texolo? That area was used in filming the 1980s movie Romancing the Stone.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
72 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Xanlapa or el Tajin?

Xico

Reply to: Xanlapa or el Tajin?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Veracruz