We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety concerns in Veracruz

Baton Rouge...
3 posts
Safety concerns in Veracruz

Im travelling alone to Veracruz. I'll be flying in on Jan.21st. I dont plan on renting a car. Is public transportation safe? Taxi or bus? I've heard in certain areas of Mexico the taxi drivers will actually rob you! Any help would be great!!!

7 replies to this topic
San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
8,325 posts
129 reviews
1. Re: Safety concerns in Veracruz

And where did you hear that about taxi drivers? From someone wha has been to Mexico recently?

I expect Uber is available in Veracruz, but recent news stories indicate that it isn’t necessarily safer than any other form of transport. Long distance first class buses verge on the luxurious and are very comfortable. City buses are less easy to use unless you speak Spanish and know where you want to go.

Edited: 17 January 2018, 13:34
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,725 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Safety concerns in Veracruz

Not true, typical, histrionic gringo B.S.

back in the 90s there was a problem where some corrupt police and taxi drivers would do bad things. now all legitimate taxi drivers have official documentation and laminates. use official taxis.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
4,614 posts
3. Re: Safety concerns in Veracruz

I am glad Dynamisto and Londinese that you are rational as I am. I have never had taxi or safety issues in Mexico including Veracruz state and city, taxis, bus whatever. Who on earth makes up these stories, its very sick and I fear goes way way back to the s-hole brains of some people. I am a US citizen and Mexico permanent resident and find these attitudes and even questions repugnant. I have travelled in Veracruz maybe 5 times over the past 8 years for work projects and fun, in the city I think you get the best seafood in MX. Plus its a really nice Caribbean flavour city with danzón & salsa in the center and music all over.

Sorry poster, its just not true lots that you hear. Its like dirty nasty rumors. Use your head. Don´t wander around drunk. Don´t take or buy drugs in Mexico - or elsewhere really. Stay in legit places, take official taxis.. The world is a pretty nice place to those of us who are polite and interested.

Baton Rouge...
3 posts
4. Re: Safety concerns in Veracruz

Well thats great to hear!!! A person hears these things and starts to believe them when you dont know any better. Very informative and very much appreciated!!!

Baton Rouge...
3 posts
5. Re: Safety concerns in Veracruz

Yes, I know quite a few people in Mexico. My info was given from someone who lives in Tijuana. I was actually told not to even chance visiting that area. Thats far from Veracruz but still put the fear in me!!! Lol

Monteverde Costa...
Level Contributor
655 posts
59 reviews
6. Re: Safety concerns in Veracruz

I was just in Veracruz last week. I actually walked out of the airport to the entrance and grabbed a bus to downtown centro. It was easy. Then when I left I returned by bus and walking in as well. I used buses around town or walked. Did not use cabs but use them elsewhere in Mexico. Do not know about Uber as I dont use it.

Dont worry. the main bus station ADO (or the one behind that one for more local routes) will get you to other cities.

I waited 10 minutes for bus to Xalapa. They go every 15 minutes. Go to Xalapa if you can. the museum there is world class and the city is wonderful.

Lots of history in Veracruz. Go to the fort and the naval museum and the city museum. There is a tranvia to get to the fort. no need for taxi.

Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
4,614 posts
7. Re: Safety concerns in Veracruz

Yes Monteverdeguy - http://www.xalapa.net/antropologia/ I actually prefer this to the CDMX Anthropology just because of the setting and its less overwhelming.

The Fort of San Juan de Ulúa tour is great, alot of legends https:/…

Have the big shrimp in the dark chile salsa, mmmmmmm, any seafood cocktails, fish a la veracruzano -- and of course café at the Parroquia where you bang your glass for hot milk, its a symphony - wow mega hungry thinking of Veracruz.

Reply to: Safety concerns in Veracruz
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Veracruz