We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A little help in Veracruz please.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
63 reviews
A little help in Veracruz please.

I'm headed to Veracruz at the end of the month and staying at the Fiesta Inn Malecon.

I'm looking for "Must eats." A dish at a restaurant, street food, and whatever else that might come to mind.

I don't like fish, but I do like shell seafood.

I have no problem taking taxis, traveling to a different town, or spending money on good chow.

Please advise.

If you ever come to San Diego, I will do my best to help.

Thank you in advance.

23 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
21. Re: A little help in Veracruz please.

We are very travelled and always go somewhere different during the winter. Why a little bit crazy in Boca without a car? Any suggestions for great restaurants, bars, shops, tours - what ever you think would be of interest. We are retired Canadians and are really looking forward to Boca and Veracruz!

Veracruz, Mexico
Level Contributor
57 posts
29 reviews
22. Re: A little help in Veracruz please.

Not getting a car isn't crazy, for people like yourselves who are well traveled. Contrast that with the 22 yr old adventure seeker, who doesn't speak the language, figures he/she will just "figure it out" as they go, and wants to travel on the cheap. Always starts off like a great idea...

I'm thinking you've chosen Veracruz for its Canadian expat population. I've made a couple of friends from "up north" (I'm from Michigan). I think you'll enjoy your stay here.

Restaurants and bars, which make up 2/3 of the Boca economy (the other being hotels), along with the rest of the city of Veracruz, you'll find something for every occasion. Seafood is a staple here, naturally, but you'll find all types of dining. We even had a place that served good BBQ (the owner brought in a guy from Texas) but, sadly, it didn't last. So you might be up the creek if you're in the mood for BBQ. Yes, there are places that serve food with a BBQ something on it, but, you understand. This site has reliable reviews for restaurants so I'll let you dip your toes, and fingers, in as you please. As for a little known goodie, Casa Molienda, also give Tacos David a try for breakfast (yes, tacos for breakfast). You'll find a lot of bars on Marti but, seriously, there are bars all over and it ultimately depends on your mood. "Kind beer" can be found at La Cerveceria del Puerto, a small family owned pub right on the water, or The Beer Box in Plaza Vela (close to Las Americas and Andamar malls) - but kind beer always comes at a higher price. As for fine dining, let's get this out of the way, El Cacharrito is often considered one of the best restaurants in Veracruz. That point is debatable. What is not debatable is that El Cacharrito is hands-down the most expensive. You can find the same quality of food and the same bottle of wine (literally, the exact same bottle) for close to half the price at several other restaurants. I like the food there, really, but the bill always makes me mad.

Shops, again you'll enjoy finding those on your own. But if you want something "Jarocho" then head to Abito or D'Lino and buy your guy a guayabera. The store also has nice clothing for ladies.

Tours - I'll be honest, skip the tours downtown. However, consider a guided tour at San Juan de Ulua. The Naval Museum is worth a visit along with the aquarium. Also, if you're looking for little gifts to buy and take back home, the shops at the aquarium are better than you'll find at the Malecon - in my opinion. And, if you find yourself homesick, head to the indoor ice rink in Plaza Mocambo. It's real ice. Or, you could also head to the plastic ice rink in Andamar - seriously, ice skating on plastic (but they still keep the inside cold, for the ambiance of it all). If you're looking to branch out a little further and see some pyramids or La Antigua (Cortez's humble abode) then you will find buses.

Speaking of buses (and taxis). Like I said before, you'll be able to get around town using public transportation. If you are looking to make a longer trip then ADO is your bus line, they have a website. Only choose trips that are direct, buses that make stops between destinations have been having issues with getting robbed. If you decide to take a bus to Mexico City, or further, then I'd suggest you buy a ticket on ADO's Platinum line - as close to a luxury bus as you'll get and SO worth it for extended trips (seriously).

I suppose I've written enough for now. Maybe more than enough. If you want to get a coffee when you're in town I'd be happy to meet up with you.

Bienvenido a Boca del Rio.

Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
23. Re: A little help in Veracruz please.

Thanks so much for your post! We would love to meet up with you for a coffee when we get in and for you to put us in touch with your Canadian friends. We arrive December 1st and are there until May 1st. We have not been able to find any FB pages for expats in Veracruz. Do you know of any other blogs or FB pages that would be helpful? Are there any places that are know spots for expats to congregate? In Lake Chapala it was the American Legion but it does not appear there is one in Veracruz. We are hoping there are some expats at our complex in Boca. We are pretty social and like to get together with people.

Gracias. Que tengas buen dia. (learning Spanish very slowly...)

Reply to: A little help in Veracruz please.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Veracruz