We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

from Mexico City to Veracruz

Level Contributor
3 posts
from Mexico City to Veracruz

Hi, this year for summer holiday, me and two of my daughter plan to visit Mexico City for 4 days and have a beach holiday also for 4 days in Veracruz. if you advice us some ideas such how to go Veracruz and where to stay at the beach.

Do you think a good idea to rent a car to go to Veracruz

Thank you.

Jalisco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,507 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: from Mexico City to Veracruz

Veracruz is a port town with some of the most contaminated beaches in Mexico, especially during the heat and humidity of summertime...Maybe visiting somewhere close like Boca del Rio may have better beach conditions.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: from Mexico City to Veracruz

Veracruz is certainly an interesting place, but it is definitely not a beach vacation place.

fortunately Mexico has an excellent bus system which can take you anywhere in the republic. Puerto Vallarta, Zihuatanejo or Acapulco or not so far of us have much cleaner better beaches than Veracruz.

there is no need to Rent-A-Car.

Jalisco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,507 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: from Mexico City to Veracruz

Acapulco is only about 6 hours by bus from MC, the same time it would take to get to Veracruz ........

the two girls would like it much more than Veracruz...

Veracruz, Mexico
Level Contributor
98 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: from Mexico City to Veracruz

Hola Nursel U! I live in the state of Veracruz and I would recomend you some nice hotels:

Hilton Inn or Hotel Mocambo (these hotels have direct access to the beach) or Galeria Plaza Hotel (this is connected to a mall named Plaza Las Américas and does not have beach but they have their own"beach club" and transportation to it). If you preffer to stay in downtown I have read that the Hotel Centro Historico is a very good option.

It is true that Veracruz does not have very nice beaches but I think you would enjoy your visit there. You can visit the aquarius or San Juan de Ulua Island , eat very delicious typical food from Veracruz, drink a coffee in La Parroquia or enjoy a walk in the Malecon and listening to the marimba music.

Regards! :-)

Veracruz, Mexico
Level Contributor
57 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: from Mexico City to Veracruz

I always get a kick out of the haters when it comes to the beaches in Veracruz. If it helps put your mind at ease, hundreds of thousands of people are on the beaches here every year and none of the hospitals are overflowing with "beach patients." You'll be fine. But, as one post said, you will want to go to beaches down in Boca del Rio.

So, if staying at a hotel with a beach is non-negotiable then my recommendation would be either the Fiesta Americana or Camino Real. The Fiesta American is a little more "upscale" and it has a pretty cool pool area. The Camino Real shares its "private beach" with one of the more popular public beaches in Boca del Rio, which makes it pretty fun, actually. Check the pics in the reviews. The hotels themselves are walking distance apart.

If beachfront is negotiable then some good advice came from another post - the Galeria Plaza. That is a very affordable hotel and is walking distance from some really good restaurants. And, as the post stated, the hotel is inside Las Americas mall, so shopping is literally just outside the door. This hotel also has a nice indoor pool, which can come in handy if the weather is bad. Also, as mentioned before, they have a van that will take you to their private "beach club." I've had a handful of "staycations" with the family at the Galeria. Get the junior suite if you pick this hotel.

The restaurants in all three of the hotels I've mentioned so far are overpriced garbage. This, again, gives the advantage to the Galeria because you can cross the street (using the pedestrian bridge) to the Andamar mall and Plaza Sol and get some good food. There are also plenty of places to eat breakfast around the Galeria and inside Las Americas mall.

If the beach is only going to be a one-day visit and you're open to downtown Veracruz then I would suggest the Gran Hotel Diligencias. You are literally 100 feet from the zocolo and, if you want, and depending on the ages of everyone, you could walk to the malecon. The zocolo is a very lively place but most of the guest reviews have said that the noise was not an issue in their room. I've been there many times but never stayed the night, so I can't say from my own experience if that's true or not.

Another option, if you want to be in the middle between downtown and Boca del Rio is the Double Tree by Hilton. It's in front of the docks, so pretty cool views of the port and the ocean, but no beach. But it's also Hilton so you can rest assured that it's a quality hotel. I've been to parties there and stayed there so I can speak from experience.

I hope that was helpful. I'm happy to give you more advice if you would like. I hope you have a great time.

Veracruz, Mexico
Level Contributor
57 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: from Mexico City to Veracruz

Oh, and don't bother renting a car. There are thousands of taxis and they are affordable. No matter how much you travel by taxi it will be cheaper than renting a car.

Veracruz, Mexico
Level Contributor
57 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: from Mexico City to Veracruz

I just read your post a little more closely - you asked if it would be a good idea to rent a car to go to Veracruz - as in driving from Mexico City to Veracruz and then, presumably, driving back to MC. I would strongly recommend against that. Take a bus to Veracruz. If you want you can upgrade to a really nice bus ride - ADO has options. I could write plenty about this but I'll just leave it as a strong suggestion that you don't rent a car.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
155 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: from Mexico City to Veracruz

Hello, great tips! If I were to stay at Gran Hotel Diligencias, would that be a short taxi to Boca Del beach area?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
155 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: from Mexico City to Veracruz

I am visiting Mexico City and trying to find a good overnight beach to visit, I was looking at Veracruz but if I decided to go to Puerto Vallarta instead, do you know how long that bus ride would be form Mexico City?

10. Re: from Mexico City to Veracruz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2017, 04:39
Get answers to your questions about Veracruz