We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teaching English in Oaxaca

Veracruz, Mexico
7 posts
Save Topic
Teaching English in Oaxaca

I am a TEFL certified teacher with a B.A. and would like to move to Oaxaca in six months with my husband. I would really like to teach at a bilingual school in or near the city of Oaxaca. Can anyone tell me what my options might be?

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Teaching English in Oaxaca

Your best options are the private bilingual schools like Cumbres, English schools like Cambridge Academy, and there are now Spanish schools which offer English classes like Becari. You may also have some luck at the language deparments in the universities but most likely at the first three option types.

Alvin Starkman / Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Veracruz, Mexico
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Teaching English in Oaxaca

Thank you so much for replying so quickly! I have been looking online but so far the only bilingual school I have found is Liceo Federico Froebel which looks good but I want to have as many options as possible. I also spoke with the Cambridge Academy the other day and that is something I might be interested in. Ideally I would like to be teaching 2nd or 3rd grade at a bilingual school but I realize that limits my options. When I lived in Chicago I taught adult ESL and I really loved that too.

You mentioned Cumbres, are you aware of any other bilingual schools in or around the city of Oaxaca?

My husband is originally from Oaxaca, although it has been many years since he has been there. He has been working in hotels and restaurants in Chicago and speaks English fluently. He never attended university so he does not have a degree. He would like to get into hotel management. Do you think that is a realistic goal for him or does he need to go back to school and get a degree?

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Teaching English in Oaxaca

I'm currently out of the country, actually touring with the 70s Canadian rock band The Stampeders right now (today near Ottawa and Tuesday at Stage West Mississauga) so I don't have access to my lists, further info, etc. Regarding your husband, tourism in Oaxaca is rather weak, and wages are extremely low in the hospitality industry. Our daughter is day manager of a higher end B & B, and I don't think your family would want to have your husband living on her wages, degree or no degree. She has a degree and is fully bilingual. You'll learn about the economics of living and working as an employee in Oaxaca, in due course. On the other hand, these things are cyclical and it appears that 2012 will be better than 2011 has been.

Alvin Starkman / Casa Machaya Oaxaca Bed & Breakfast

Veracruz, Mexico
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Teaching English in Oaxaca

I hope you enjoy your tour! That sounds like fun. We don't plan on moving to Oaxaca for another 5 to 6 months so we have some time to think about jobs etc. We are currently in Veracruz. We have some things to take care of here and then we will be on our way to Oaxaca. We have been shocked about how low the wages are compared to the cost of living but we will have to find a way to make it work.

Thank you so much for your time. I hope you enjoy your trip. If you have time, please write me back with any further information you might have when you return from your vacation.

Oaxaca, Mexico
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Teaching English in Oaxaca

Hola, Ashley.

Other options that may suit you include Instituto La Salle (one of the better-paying private schools), Blaise Pascal (middle and high school only, but has core curriculum in English and Spanish), and Capriola (preschool/Kinder only, with a Montessori philosophy). Also look at Dave's ESL Cafe and search on "Oaxaca" in the Mexico forum for information.

Suerte! Serena

Oaxaca, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Oaxaca
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Teaching English in Oaxaca

Serena: Eat your heart out. The concert today was incredible, as was the after party. Now over to a another band member's room for wine and mezcal. Kim says hi to all. Plans will be in the works to get The Stampeders to Oaxaca one way or another.

Oaxaca, Mexico
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Teaching English in Oaxaca

Glad to hear you're rockin' the scene al norte, Alvin. I was at a poolside Radio Insecto party! Saludos a todos and see you soon.

Veracruz, Mexico
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Teaching English in Oaxaca

Serena,

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I looked each of the schools up and they look great. I will be visiting Oaxaca next week to start looking at schools. I really appreciate your help!

Veracruz, Mexico
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Teaching English in Oaxaca

Serena,

You mentioned that La Salle is one of the better-paying private schools in Oaxaca. Do you have any idea how much they pay or how much I should expect in general?

Veracruz, Mexico
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Teaching English in Oaxaca

I was also wondering if anyone could give me some advice on where to look for an apartment. My husband and I are looking for a two or three bedroom house/apartment to rent. We have looked online and were also planning on walking around and looking for signs but are unsure of which areas to look in.