We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuernavaca, Mexico

1 post
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Can anyone update me on safety in Cuernavaca, I believe it has improved on a few years ago. I am travelling there in Oct 2018.

7 replies to this topic
San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
129 reviews
1. Re: Cuernavaca, Mexico

No one who actually lives in Cuernavaca posts on this forum, so any info you get is likely to come from google. My view is that the violence is unlikely to impinge on tourists anyway. But October is six months away and things could change.

I should add that I can think of much nicer places to spend time in than Cuernavaca, but I guess you have your reasons to visit.

Edited: 21 April 2018, 00:43
Monteverde Costa...
Level Contributor
655 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: Cuernavaca, Mexico

I lived in Cuernavaca 2 years but many moons ago. I visit now 3 months total between a couple of trips per year.

As Londinense mentions it is not all that popular for tourists. I hit another location for a week every visit but also love Cuernavaca precisely because Im not tripping over gringos every block.

Have fun and normal precautions will keep you safe.

tle
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
71 posts
98 reviews
3. Re: Cuernavaca, Mexico

It is safe. Live here in Centro area. No issues with normal caution.

Tracy, N.California
Level Contributor
411 posts
1 review
4. Re: Cuernavaca, Mexico

what other areas would you recommend if not cuernavaca? Im also thinking of spending a few days there but open to other suggestions...

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
8,071 posts
133 reviews
5. Re: Cuernavaca, Mexico

I visited Cuernavaca over Christmas for 2 weeks years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed the town. I remember watching Mariachis compete on the plaza in the evening and just thoroughly enjoyed everything everywhere that I went. The churches were beautiful, there are some interesting museums just off the plaza, and I really liked one ice cream shop in particular!!

I would still return to Cuernavaca today in a heartbeat. Certainly I would exercise the same due caution that I would in any major US city in the United States. Don't wear a lot of jewelry, don't flash a lot of cash, and avoid dark areas at night. Safe travels.

¡Diviertanse!

Tracy, N.California
Level Contributor
411 posts
1 review
6. Re: Cuernavaca, Mexico

Thanks for your input!! Hope to make it there 😁

Mount Vernon...
Level Contributor
74 posts
20 reviews
7. Re: Cuernavaca, Mexico

I'm here attending a language school right now. I feel perfectly safe and go out and about by myself, usually in an uber but sometimes in a taxi as well

Reply to: Cuernavaca, Mexico
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted