We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reported bus stop violence.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
reported bus stop violence.

My family has been coming to Zih for 6 years now. we spend 4 to six weeks each year and we love Zih. We are planning to visit Zih for the month of Dec.

I have some concern about reported drug related violence.

Recently there was a report of horrible violence at one of the bus stops in Zih.

I am unclear if the report is real. Does anyone know if the report is real?

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: reported bus stop violence.

Some bodies were dumped by the Government buildings that is near a bus stop in the middle of the night. It is thought to be a gang against gang thing that does happen.This is not a tourist area (although I often walk there) nor have any tourists been involved.

If you have been coming for 6 years you know how peaceful Zihua is. Nothing has changed for us visitors.

Edited: 19 November 2011, 13:04
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: reported bus stop violence.

Thank you,

We have been coming to Zih for years and will return again twice for the month of Dec and part of the month of Feb.

I have always felt safe in Zihuatanejo however this type of violence does scare my wife and children.

It is really sad to hear that the violence has hit Zih.

I feel sad for the good people of Zihuatanejo and Mexico.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: reported bus stop violence.

I have to ask where you got this information. There is nothing in the local news or message board about this. No one here knows anything about this. It has been quiet here for some time. There was a somewhat similar occurance many months ago. Are you behind in your news perhaps?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: reported bus stop violence.

The dumping of the bodies at the bus stop happened on Oct 3, and was mentioned here and on many other forums.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: reported bus stop violence.

Thanks for the date. So this is definitely old news, has been posted and discussed quite a bit. I think to bring it up again only stirs up negative publicity and sensationalizes a prior incident.

Let's continue to work towards providing up to date information for people who are interested in travelling to Zihua. Certainly acknowledge the bad news, but try to focus on all the positive and wonderful things that Zihua has to offer. Just my 2 pesos.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: reported bus stop violence.

On re-reading my last post, I don't think it really says what I intended and I just want to clarify. I am not criticizing anyone's comments. I am just wanting to suggest to the op that they read the forum. This incident was discussed and commented on quite fully and I worry about going over and over the same incidents...it just stirs things up all over again...things that are past. That is not to minimalize such incidents....just wanting the forum to move on and not forget all the positive stuff that is happening.

Woodside
Level Contributor
630 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: reported bus stop violence.

I agree with you Linda. The title only stirs fear in our hearts...even I, who know better. I read the title of the thread and thought...good grief, what now?

Listen, after that incident I wrote everyone down to La Barra and up to Uruapan, Patzcuaro and Playa Buena Vista if they were experiencing the violence. My friends are both Mexican nationals and American ex-pats. They all said the same exact thing. They felt safe and they don't take stupid chances anywhere in the world.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: reported bus stop violence.

Common sense is a very fine thing.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: reported bus stop violence.

Oh man I asked the question because I did not know if it was real or not.

I had not heard about this before. I was making my plans for a trip down to Zih. Someone told about the incident and not knowing if it was a real report I turned to this site for an answer. 1. It is new info to me. 2. If a person can not ask other travelers about this type of thing then what good is the site.? 3. I think some of you are WAY out of place trying to control other travelers questions on the very important topic of safety just because you think it"s old news.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,481 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: reported bus stop violence.

It's only that it has been brought up before on here and other travel sites, ad nauseum....don't take it personally.

Yes, it happened. Other incidents have happened, and continue to happen. Guerrero has travel warmings for parts of the state issued by both the Canadian and US governments. Acapulco (in the same state) has the second highest homicide rate in the country now. The narcoviolence has been going strong since 2008 with no signs of abating, and Gro is one of the hot states. (and has been for years....as in, all the years you have been coming, too.) I agree that everyone should know the facts.

BUT- that all said, tourists are still quite safe to travel there and elsewhere in Mexico. We aren't being targeted- military and police and government officials and cartel criminals and sadly, some innocent Mexican folks too. But not foreigners. Out of the millions of tourists who travel to Mexico every year, there have been very few negative incidents.

We leave for Zihua with my mom and stepdad two weeks from now, we are not nervous. We will take common sense precautions and I am confident we will have a great trip. I am sure you will have a great seventh trip this winter if you go! :)

Edited: 21 November 2011, 14:29