We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zihua Day of the Dead 2017

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
26 posts
29 reviews
Zihua Day of the Dead 2017

We will be in Zihua the last week of October and it coincides with Dia de Los Muertos (Day of the Dead). Can anyone tell us what it's like during that time? Are there any parades, street festivals, dress-up events, must-see activities? Cheers.

6 replies to this topic
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,924 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Zihua Day of the Dead 2017

Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) , is a day to celebrate, remember and prepare special foods in honor of those who have departed. ... It is believed that the spirit of the dead visit their families on October 31 and leave on November 2.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
4,125 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Zihua Day of the Dead 2017

Day of the Dead, which corresponds with Christianity's All Souls Day, is a wonderful tradition and there is much to learn about this. To answer your question specifically, it is a family time which includes many traditions of food, altars, and activities. Most families will spend a considerable amount of time at the cemetery, often preparing and enjoying a meal, children play, and memories are shared. Homes will have altars which include photos of the departed, candles, flowers, and food. You will see many candy skulls (lots of sugar!) around town. These candy skulls will be on the altars as well. It is said the sugar will help give the souls the energy they need to visit. Favorite foods or personal items of the departed will be placed on the altars as well, to help guide the souls to their families. Events you can attend include a wonderful festival with entertainment and food in La Madera on Calle Adelita, and the Concha (basketball court/square) in centro will there will be altar displays. Many years ago I was invited to bring my departed mom's photo and a candle, which was welcomed and placed with a Mexican family's items in the cemetery- mom was totally adopted into this custom and family. It was a very moving experience and to this day I prepare our altar in our home at this time. I'm sure you will enjoy learning and experiencing your time in Zihua.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,392 posts
181 reviews
3. Re: Zihua Day of the Dead 2017

Linda...you "put me there'....thanks. Nice read with my cuppa Mornin' Joe.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Zihua Day of the Dead 2017

You know that you have crossed some sort of threshold in life, when your list for Dia de los Muertos, is longer than your list for Xmas.

Keith

Airdrie, Canada
Level Contributor
926 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Zihua Day of the Dead 2017

We love Dia de los Muertos and have had the opportunity to experience it for the last few years. Unfortunately, West Jet's first flight this year does not leave until November 3. On Calle Adelita there is usually a parade and one year we were invited to their celebration of food, music, & dancing. There is also a very small cemetery that is decorated.

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
26 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Zihua Day of the Dead 2017

We are actually flying Westjet down via LAX, then AeroMexico to Mexico City to Zihua. Roundabout way, but our return is nonstop to Calgary on the winter Westjet.

Reply to: Zihua Day of the Dead 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo