We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problems using TD Canada Trust Visa card in Mexico?

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
477 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Problems using TD Canada Trust Visa card in Mexico?

For the past couple of years we have not been able to use our TD Canada Trust Visa card at Costco or Soriana in Puerto Vallarta. Our bank says they don't know why and they don't seem to be able to figure it out!! They think it's only our card that is a problem but I did hear of others who had problems. If you had any problems using your card you should report it to Visa so it can be fixed.

You could send me a PM so I can pass on the info to our bank and it would help them to find out the issue and correct it. (We go every winter and would like to be able to use our Visa card).

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
19 replies to this topic
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,001 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Problems using TD Canada Trust Visa card in Mexico?

So it's a debit card- or a credit card?

I've never tried to use a credit card at any Mexican ATMs- sorry can't help in that case.

Does it have a 4 digit PIN? Could you use it to withdraw pesos instead? Or that incurs more service fees, right? I know my old Visa used to charge a 3% 'foreign transaction fee' out of country so I stopped every using cc.

Edited: 31 August 2017, 05:02
BC
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Problems using TD Canada Trust Visa card in Mexico?

The banks never seem to know what the problem is....most annoying. Sometimes if you get on the phone with Visa they may have more of an idea, as they can see the denied transactions. But your branch will not know anything.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Problems using TD Canada Trust Visa card in Mexico?

Credit cards and Mexico often do not mix well.

Your bank will bring in pesos for you before your trip, they give a decent exchange rate

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
477 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Problems using TD Canada Trust Visa card in Mexico?

Terry and others: It is a credit card that we have that is a problem with Soriana and Costco. We always get pesos in Canada before we leave and that's not the problem. We pay about $175 a year to have the Visa credit card because we get Aeroplan points (that we use to fly to PV and back etc.) We use cash for most places but when we purchase larger grocery orders we like to use our Visa card to get the points.

I thought TD Visa could simply call the 2 stores and find out why the cards don't get accepted but it's seems to be a problem for them to do that.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Problems using TD Canada Trust Visa card in Mexico?

Just wondering if you have tried speaking to the managers at the two stores? If they speak English, you could call your bank from the store and initiate a conversation between a manager and your bank. Sometimes you have to MAKE it happen. Not sure if this would be worth your effort or not.....just a thought.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
477 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Problems using TD Canada Trust Visa card in Mexico?

HI Linda- I will probably have to do that when we are in Mexico this winter. In the past we had hoped that Visa could figure out the problem and fix it but that does not seem possible. I told them that they must have someone that can speak Spanish and could contact the two places but they have not done that. I will see what I can accomplish when I am in PV this winter.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
2,417 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Problems using TD Canada Trust Visa card in Mexico?

You need to call the toll free number on the back of your card. It's Visa that is declining it not your bank. Obviously your bank could call Visa but they seem not to want to. We have a MasterCard program at work and we instruct all of our card holders to call the toll free number if they have a problem. We never call our bank as they would know nothing.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
477 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Problems using TD Canada Trust Visa card in Mexico?

We are dealing with Visa (using the phone number on the back of our card). Not dealing with the bank. They tell us we are the only ones that ever reported the problem and I am hoping to hear from others that have had problems with Visa (issued by TD Canada Trust) so they can realize the problem is more wide spread than just us.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Zihuatanejo
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Problems using TD Canada Trust Visa card in Mexico?

I wish you luck with this. Unfortunately there is no simple solution. Let us know how it goes if you make the call to Visa from the store.

Toronto
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Problems using TD Canada Trust Visa card in Mexico?

I used my TD Gold Select card in Zihua. It works everywhere except at the checkout at Commercial (the grocery supermarket) the manager has to enter the information manually. My TD debit card works in all bank ATMs.

Reply to: Problems using TD Canada Trust Visa card in Mexico?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted