We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bottled booze prices

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
17 posts
28 reviews
Bottled booze prices

My wife and I will be traveling to Zihua in late October and we are curious about the liquor prices. This will be our first time renting a condo. We mostly stay with family in Nayarit and we have done AI a couple times in other parts of the country so we dont have a good sense of the prices.

Do those of you who rent condos find that it's worth picking up a few bottles and some mixers at the local grocery store, or price wise is it pretty comporable to going out and getting drinks?

28 replies to this topic
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
221 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Bottled booze prices

It'll always be cheaper to drink at home, but drinks aren't terribly expensive unless it's all call liquor that you drink.

I've found booze cheaper across the board for big name brands. Except tequila- prices are about the same in the states. The real bargain is regional mescal. Not only can't you find 99.9% of that in the states, if you did it would be crazy expensive.

Jalisco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Bottled booze prices

For example a 750ml bottle of Ron Bacardi Anejo Rum costs 750 Pesos or $7.42 USD and you could make 25- 1 oz drinks from it, a 2 x 2liter bottles of Coca Cola cost 50 Pesos or $2.85 USD for a mixer ( Rum & Coke)....

I may cost 50 Pesos ( $2.85 USD ) for a drink at a bar or restaurant in Zihuatanejo, so you be the judge.....

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
221 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Bottled booze prices

Carico-

Not to be a math nazi, but you may want to recheck your figures for that bottle conversion.

Jalisco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Bottled booze prices

You are correct, the rum cost 130 pesos not 750........still $7.42 USD a bottle.........

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
17 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Bottled booze prices

Thanks everyone, this is helpful. Do you know if most things are readily available in 375ml bottles? We like to mix it up and make different cocktails but I doubt we could get through several full sized 750ml bottles in a week.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,342 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Bottled booze prices

In that case it is probably a toss up between ordering Drinks Vs making drinks and leaving half fill bottles at the end of the week.

You won't believe how fast that week goes!

Keith

Jalisco, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
5,366 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Bottled booze prices

I never have never seen to many of the 350ml bottles in the big stores but I see them behind the counter at most all OXXO's.......And since OXXO is owned by Coca Cola you should get a good price on mixers.........

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Bottled booze prices

Ian We always do a condo kind of trip and do a pretty good shopping early on and at night because the big stores are open late and to maximize the sun and beach time that we crave and paid for. We also take the view of going big on the supplies and are happy to leave any unused supplies for the staff as part of a tip. So often people will leave any left over food with their newly made condo mates but the staff will appreciate the goods SO MUCH MORE and your well off condo mates can easily buy more for themselves. AS to the alcohol there is also your allowable amount to bring back to the states. Many people will look for a special type of ,"Mexican" specialty booze but any kind is allowable if a fancy souvenir type is not your thing.

There was a Yucatan coconut rum, sweetened with honey, called XOTICAL at the Comercial Mexicana, (MEGA) store and also at La Europea in Ixtapa that is very nice and very inexpensive at those stores but quite a bit more elsewhere. No mixing required and at half strength like Malibu rum just right anytime. It has a anise flavoured, honey sweetened cousin called Xtabentun if that suits you better.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
361 posts
10 reviews
9. Re: Bottled booze prices

Ian

I'm a long time visitor to Z and have been condo renting for over a decade now (probably longer..). I much prefer it to hotel/resort living. If youre looking at staying in Z, my time tested procedure is to drop the bags and hit the beach...toes in sand, adult beverage in hand. There are small tiendas all over town where you can pick up supplies for the first night..beer, chips etc.

Early the next morning I hit Commercial (I think it opens at 8..Linda??) for *all* of my shopping needs...food, booze, sunscreen, tires, diapers, whatever. There are ATMs there, and the cashiers also accept credit cards.

Its now 9am on your first full day in Z...youre stocked up with everything you might need. Time for breakfast and the beach

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
181 reviews
10. Re: Bottled booze prices

Hi Ian..everyone's advice has been great and spot on.

If I can hijack and toss some advice out there...I typically bring at least two of the foldable/reusable grocery bags that I always seem to end up with from conferences/shows etc...they come in super handy especially as opposed to the cheap grocery store bags and I always bring along a larger, Thermo mug. Use it for coffee in the a.m. and Mixers in the afternoon. It keeps the drink hot/cold and the sand/bee's etc...OUT.....all of the above gets left there for the maid or bellman etc...who has said shown an interest in it....(and they do.....)

Have a super trip and enjoy that condo.

Reply to: Bottled booze prices
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Zihuatanejo
Recent Conversations