We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Mexico travel warnings

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
712 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
New Mexico travel warnings

We have a Christmas trip to ixtapa planned for extended family and my 82 year old mother in law is ready to pull the plug because of today's travel warning issued by the US government (which I find suspicious in light of recent inflammatory statements made by the POTUS). Any advice?

26 replies to this topic
1. Re: New Mexico travel warnings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 August 2017, 06:05

Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Mexico travel warnings

If you read the advisory for Guerrero, it is based on U.S. Government Employees again, and is really written about travel outside of the tourist areas. Why the change in wording for last year is beyond me.

As written, I find it fairly worthless.

If you compare this to the places that you really should give a thought about, you will find it written as "U.S. Citizens should defer non-essential travel"

JMO

Keith

3. Re: New Mexico travel warnings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 August 2017, 06:05

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
712 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Mexico travel warnings

I know, New Mexico looked pretty stupid after I posted. I myself am not worried in the least. It's my 82-year-old mother-in-law who is worried. And I tried to reassure her with all the things that you are saying. It's frustrating when these warnings come out and it's a big giant 'US government Travel Warning!' flashing sign.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Minnesota
Level Contributor
6,190 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Mexico travel warnings

Ha! Tell her at 82, what does she have to worry about?

Keith

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,689 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Mexico travel warnings

You said...

"I myself am not worried in the least"

I believe you should be aware and know about the warnings. Things do happen and you do not have to be buying drugs, drinking, flashing money...you can just be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Things are not wonderful in Mexico right now in many locations. The violence that happens in Mexico can not be compared at all to what is going on in the USA. Totally different. When you lose loved ones to it...you become much more aware.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
United States
United States
North America
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
712 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Mexico travel warnings

I didn't mean to sound flippant and I am concerned. We are not youngsters who will be out partying at night. We will be hanging out on the beach, snorkeling, reading, relaxing. I love Mexico and the the wonderful people we've encountered during our travels there. Thank you for your advice of caution. I'm simply trying to figure out a way to alleviate my mother-in-law's worries. I don't want her to not go.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,237 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Mexico travel warnings

It's always scary when new warnings are posted...and yes many areas were added to the list this past week...

https:/…mexico-travel-warning.html

I would NOT pull the plug at this time. It's understandable that your mother in law is concerned...I would wait it out...I would follow along on this forum (many here willing to post daily when they are there or just returned) and listen to their info and follow your gut instinct on what they are saying. Linda from Canada lives there and can fill you in daily on this forum if you ask....

Be concerned ...sure. Be well informed...absolutely...

Cancel now...NOPE....give it some time.

Tell her you are not allowed to cancel yet...when she asks why say "because Mary said so" lol

good luck with your research. Cheers!

Edited: 24 August 2017, 07:01
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,978 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Mexico travel warnings

I am taking my 74 year old mum to Isla Mujeres in early December and the major change in todays updated travel advisories (both US and Canada updated them today) was to add Cabo/Baja Sur and Quintana Roo to the list of hotspots of cartel violence- so I get where you are coming from, as I am mentally preparing to calm her nerves too.

I see too that Zihua/Ixtapa are no longer 'not included' in the general Guerrero warning. Most likely because of the increase in cartel violence in the past year or so- however, I am not aware of any recent incidents involving tourists, so it's a but mystifying to me why they would do that. There were a couple of fires at bars in Ixtapa in the past year I think? No tourists hurt though.

I would explain to her that first off, this drug war is nothing new-it's been going on ten plus years now. That while Guerrero is a state with a lot of activity, the tourist areas of Zihua/Ixtapa have largely been peaceful-especially for foreign tourists.

Tell her that it is targeted violence, and although there is always the chance of an innocent bystander either being an accidental victim, or seeing something disturbing, most of us who are regular vacationers to the area for year and years, and those who live or spend winters there, have not seen or experienced anything negative at all. It is not in the best interests of the cartels to hurt or scare off tourists.

Be careful walking around late and night, don't wear anything flashy, guard your money and cards carefully, avoid drugs and nightclubs, be smart- and you will have a good safe trip. Also be very careful on the streets and roads and in the ocean- these things scare me far more than sicario thugs!

Edited: 24 August 2017, 07:09
Mentioned in this post
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cabo San Lucas
Cabo San Lucas
Los Cabos, Mexico
Ixtapa
Ixtapa
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Atlantic Beach...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: New Mexico travel warnings

We have spent at least two weeks in Mexico for last 7 years. We like Puerto Vallarta and Zihautanejo. In Zihau we've stayed at Aura del Mar. Good food, great view of bay. About a mile walk along seawall to town. Lots of stairs!

Both cities have been safe and I think recent warnings have been for places that cater to younger party crowd that may be attracting drug dealers. Both cities have good presence of POLICIA that surely helps. Even Walmart has armed guards in Zihau.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Aura del Mar Hotel
Aura del Mar Hotel
574 Reviews
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Reply to: New Mexico travel warnings