We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Pesos vs. Dollars Comment

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
A Pesos vs. Dollars Comment

We just returned from Dreams in PV last week. In the past, we've asked our servers if they prefer dollars or pesos, and were always told that they preferred dollars. However, since we hadn't been to PV in the last couple of years, we researched the topic here, on the forum. After reading a number of posts on this subject, we were convinced that we needed to use pesos this time around.

So, when we arrived at the airport, we withdrew pesos from an ATM. After that, we went to the taxi stand, to request a taxi to Dreams. We were then asked if we would be paying in pesos or dollars. When we told the attendant that we would pay in pesos, he had to check with three different drivers before he found a driver willing to take us to Dreams. We thought that was a little strange, so I decided to ask the opinion of the different servers & maids that we had throughout the week. Every single one, without missing a beat, stated that they much prefer dollars. Since we had brought $100 in singles with us, just in case, it was no big deal to us either way.

However, I am left feeling very confused on this subject. I have used this forum MANY times in the past. It is such a great resource; I just can't tell you all how much I appreciate the time you take to answer all of the various questions. I'm not exaggerating when I tell you that all of you have helped to improve our vacations greatly! So please, understand that I am NOT complaining about the information we received about pesos. So many of you on this forum have 10 times the experience we do in regards to PV, so I am completely convinced that you all really know your stuff. (Especially considering that this was only our 4th time there.) I just can't help but feel curious though. Why do you think our experience, regarding pesos, was so different from what most of you have encountered in the past? Thanks again to everyone who takes the time to post here! :o)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,187 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A Pesos vs. Dollars Comment

The answer is simple - they want your dollars because they can exchange them for more than you would get by using them, ergo they get a bigger tip than if you (as an example) gave them pesos. 10 pesos = 10 pesos, whereas $1.00USD = close to 13 pesos. And they want dollars rather than no tips at all...very common response in larger resorts.

I still will continue to use, and tip, in pesos however. I've never used anything else but pesos in all of my 24 trips to PV and that's unlikely to change. But then again I also don't stay in big chain resorts. (-:

I think at Dreams they're just so used to accommodating the USD it's like a microcosm of the actual PV experience. Unless things have changed, don't they also have a USD dispensing ATM there too? So that's probably another reason why to "cheerlead" the USD usage.

Edited: 24 February 2012, 08:22
Seattle
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Pesos vs. Dollars Comment

I am guessing they were being polite and telling you what they thought you want to hear.

Think of it this way. How would you like it if you worked for tips, and received Pesos and had to go to the bank everyday?

Delta, Canada
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Pesos vs. Dollars Comment

A number of the better quality/larger resorts and hotels will change dollars to pesos for their employees, and as I understand it, at a bank rate. This is done as a perque.

I still prefer pesos.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A Pesos vs. Dollars Comment

Tatterdema, thanks for your reply. We had the same group of waiters all week when we sat on the beach. The 1st day, I tipped them all in pesos. At the end of the day, I finally asked them which they prefer. That is when they told me they prefer dollars. However, they told me that they didn't want to seem ungrateful for the tips, and that pesos are fine as well.

PVJennybean, thanks for taking the time to respond. Of course, I realize that the exchange rate has to be the number one reason they prefer dollars. I also realize, thanks to all of you on the forum, that they have to hassle with exchanging those dollars with pesos...which is why we took the time to get pesos at the airport. (And, yes, you are correct that Dreams' ATM dispenses dollars.) It just confused me to find, that when given a choice between the two, they seemed more than willing to deal with the exchange hassle. I guess that I need to keep in mind that these people are so poorly paid, that the little bit of extra money can really make a difference in their life.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A Pesos vs. Dollars Comment

CLAYMORE52: I had never heard that some of the large resorts would exchange dollars to pesos for their employees. That explanation puts a whole new light on the subject. LOL Thanks for the information!

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Pesos vs. Dollars Comment

I guess I just think it is really weird to tip in a foreign currency. I wonder if they also prefer Canadian money and Euros?

Portland Oregon
Level Contributor
431 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: A Pesos vs. Dollars Comment

WI=COLD I understand your confusion!

Eric and I tipped in us dollars our first 3 trips. We stayed at Playa Los Arcos properties and did the AI. Our service was amazing and no one ever acted like the us dollar was a problem.

After our 3rd year I found TA. I respect the Destination Experts and others that post that have many years of experience (like PVjennybean) We no longer do the AI and I am glad we quit the us dollars.

We do it out of respect for the people it is their country and pesos is their currency.

Becki

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Pesos vs. Dollars Comment

It makes sense that an all-inclusive would exchange dollars for the staff, though I seriously doubt they all do. Many visitors spend much of their trip at the resort making it harder to get pesos.

We stay in town at a condo, the staff works 6 days a week (long days) and would have to exchange after work or on their one day off.

I tend to tip well, even the condo's maintenance staff, you should see how clean the walkway in front of our condo stays towards the end of our stay :)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
26,187 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A Pesos vs. Dollars Comment

It is true that many of the big resorts will make this accommodation for their staff as a perk. Because often times people who stay at AIs don't leave much (or in some cases at all) the foreign currency is generally what they carry as they wouldn't be using it in town.

But they are definitely going to tell guests what they think they wish to hear in order to ensure the uninterrupted flow of "propina". They're smart that way. (-;

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: A Pesos vs. Dollars Comment

The tone of a couple of the responses makes me worry that I've expressed myself poorly. As I stated earlier, we had BOTH dollars & pesos with us, and started out only using pesos. I completely understand why pesos should be used instead of dollars. I'm not trying to come across as an overly entitled American who wants a foreign country to cater to my every whim. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to either the Mexican people...or even anyone on this forum. I was just genuninely confused by the number of servers who, knowing we had pesos, stated that they preferred the dollar. I did not mean to offend anyone when I posted this question, and I apologize if I have done so.