We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to PV in August was this a bad idea??

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Going to PV in August was this a bad idea??

While reading reviews finding out that August is not the best time to go to PV because of the humidity and rain. I have no choice of time as escaping Australian winter, don't mind heat nor humidity so much but not too happy if it rains the whole time, should we go to Cancun side instead is the weather better over there??

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
7,970 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to PV in August was this a bad idea??

you're in hurricane season in cancun---and i was in hurricane emily----not fun,

there isn't a bad time to go to pv---i've never been there in aug---i go in june which is also considered rainy season---when it has rained it is not allday---but it is hot---and thatis why God put a big beautiful ocean out there

So Cal
Level Contributor
7,371 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to PV in August was this a bad idea??

It is hot and it is humid. The rain is welcome when it comes as it cools things down for a little while. Unless there is a tropical storm in the area it will usually only rain in the late afternoon/evening and in the morning the sun will be out again bright and hot. The lightening storms around the bay are amazing and the rain is warm. Just take sandals like flip flops that work well in water. I often look like a wet cocker spaniel when I am there in August but I love walking in the rain. Plan on alot of bad hair days due to the humidity and/or the rain and taking about 4 showers a day. Make sure you drink lots of water to stay hydrated.

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to PV in August was this a bad idea??

We have not been to PV- going - flying in on 24th April for 2 weeks before a week at both Ixtapa and Acapulco each.

Have been to Cancun, Cozumel, and Player Del Carmen- went in May 2006,

Loved Cozumel and Player Del Carmen but did not like Cancun-

if you go to Cancun-

consider this-

we thought of it as playground for young Americans,very commercial and full of bars, Senor Frogs and night clubs.

It did not feel like a Mexican experience- but maybe it is the bar scene you want.We are now in our 50's and in bed watching tv by 9.30 pm on holiday.

We own an accommodation business and its a luxury to go to bed early.

I would NOT GO to the Yucatan in hurricane season-

The Gran Melia in Cancun had been decimated the year before, and even though our booking was for May 2006, they would not take us and through RCI timeshare we were placed in another hotel and only told the day before hand.

australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to PV in August was this a bad idea??

Hi Thanks for putting my mind at rest, I am Australian and love the heat and although I live in a very dry climate now prefer the humidity good for the skin. Will Give cancun a miss not into hurricanes was in Hawaii when they had one, not going for the bar scene especially as I am taking my 14 year old son. Guess will take lots of antifrizz hairproducts for my hair lol, now just have to decide which resort/hotel to stay at think I have fined it down to Fiesta Americana Westin or Marriot, although when I rang the Marriot they have two conventions during that time, so might give that one a miss.

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to PV in August was this a bad idea??

We are kiwis, West Coast- south of Raglan, North Island, New Zealand

We are doing timeshare exchange- first week crown Paradise Club- timeshare is actually called Marino De Oro,

second week Sheraton Buganvilias,

getting slightly excited

australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to PV in August was this a bad idea??

Hope you guys have a great time

Kawhia,New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,779 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to PV in August was this a bad idea??

You to,

We would have to be crazy not to!!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
531 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to PV in August was this a bad idea??

The first time I went to PV it was in August. I fell in love with PV. Yes, it is very hot and humid, but it sounds like you are like me and don't mind this too much. The rain did not bother me at all. In August it is good to do jungle trips, swim in the cold rivers, enjoy boating excursions and take a siesta in the late afternoon. We stay at Fiesta Americana and love it, a beautiful hotel. The bus stops in front of the hotel and takes you into town. A cab is about 5 US dollars. Have a wonderful trip!

Calabasas, CA
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to PV in August was this a bad idea??

As far as I am concerned just being in P.V. any time of the year is a great experience. How can you not enjoy it. Have a great time.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,140 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to PV in August was this a bad idea??

We are Canadians, and August is summer in Canada, but we love summer in Vallarta. For one thing, the ocean is lovely and calm and clear in most places. We spent all of August in Vallarta last year and plan to do again this year. Yes, it's hot, but no different than in Canada, and the rains are more like the itermittent storms you find anywhere in the tropics (eg. Phuket, etc.). As for Cancun, I agree, the chances of hurricanes are much greater there than in Vallarta.

We had family from Canada last year all of August and they liked it too. I would say, "no worries". C'mon over. . Just try to stay in a place where at least the bedrooms are air conditioned (most places are), unless you're very used to the heat.