We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Escondido crocodiles plusm

Level Contributor
368 posts
662 reviews
Puerto Escondido crocodiles plusm

Hi!

I am going to be visiting Huatulco 11/20-11/27 of this year.

While I am there, I would like to visit Puerto Escondido, and also go to the crocodile farm/sanctuary nearby.

Can I fairly easily do this by myself using public transportation, or would I do better taking an organized tour?

I speak passable Spanish, if that matters, and have happily and comfortably traveled by bus all over Mexico.

Thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Rolling Meadows...
Level Contributor
2,419 posts
128 reviews
1. Re: Puerto Escondido crocodiles plusm

The bus would probably be the cheapest route. We took a taxi from outside the Huatulco airport to PE last year for 1200 pesos. It took about an hour and a half. I don’t know anything about the crocodile farm.

Ontario
Level Contributor
253 posts
181 reviews
2. Re: Puerto Escondido crocodiles plusm

I think Cali might be referring to the mangroves at La Ventanilla where one can take a small boat tour through the mangroves to see the crocodiles and other wildlife. There is a turtle sanctuary at Mazunte.

Both are in the vicinity of Puerto Escondido.

Rather than take a bus, I might be more inclined to hire a taxi for the day. (Sorry I can't comment on how much a taxi would be.)

Boise Idaho
Level Contributor
944 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Puerto Escondido crocodiles plusm

I don't believe busses go to La Ventinilla

Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
11,325 posts
216 reviews
4. Re: Puerto Escondido crocodiles plusm

No buses to La Ventanilla. There are colectivos (back of a pick-up) or taxi. La Ventanilla is more or less halfway to PE. Taxi from Centro Huatulco is posted at 500 Pesos.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
15,045 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: Puerto Escondido crocodiles plusm

We took a taxi to La Ventanilla and did the crocodile lagoon tour- we hired him for the day and he also took us to Mazunte, Zipolite, and Puerto Angel. It was well worth the 2000 pesos we paid him (including tip). :)

That was originating from our hotel in Santa Cruz. If you include PE as a stop as well I'm thinking it would be a bit more $. Might be a good idea to plan on staying overnight a night or two in PE and taking the bus back.

berwyn, illinois
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Puerto Escondido crocodiles plusm

It’s really easy to hire a driver for the day- just let him k is what you want to do and negotiate a price. If you want to stop at Mazunte or Ventinillo or Zipolite on the way to Puerto Escondido, he’ll stop and wait for you. There are some lovely beaches and towns between Huatulco and Puerto Escondido.

Level Contributor
368 posts
662 reviews
7. Re: Puerto Escondido crocodiles plusm

Thank-you all very much!

Reply to: Puerto Escondido crocodiles plusm
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted