We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz Huatulco scam?

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hertz Huatulco scam?

The Hertz office in the Huatulco airport required me to get insurance even though I checked ahead of time that it was not required. They would not give me a car unless I signed. Anyone else have this problem with Hertz and were you successful in getting your money back?

13 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hertz Huatulco scam?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way of getting around the required Mexican insurance coverage for rental cars. It appears that no US or Canadian insurer provides, or even can provide coverage that is recognized in Mexico. If you were to drive your own car across the border, you are still required to purchase Mexican insurance coverage right at the border. Your credit card does not provide liability insurance, only damage to the car in the event of an accident. I have learned that it is better to budget for this additional insurance cost than to try and haggle at the rental desk after your flight.

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hertz Huatulco scam?

I don't understand why you would label this as a scam? When you checked ahead of time, was it with the Hertz office? If you were to rent your house on Air B&B ( example ) would you not require the renter to have insurance, even though it is not required by state law? I would.

Mike :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hertz Huatulco scam?

True. The rental car websites (although Hertz's is a bit more forthcoming) do not adequately explain the nuances of Mexican insurance, only to say something like, "additional charges may be applied at the rental location". This leaves some renters with the impression that the rate quoted on the website will be exactly what the charges at the desk will be. Misleading...perhaps, but certainly not some kind of devious, premeditated scam designed to defraud unsuspecting gringos. As far as getting your money back, I would suggest if you have trouble from Hertz, go to your credit card provider and explain that you never received the service.

Salmon Arm, Canada
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hertz Huatulco scam?

Rather than lie, just accept that the research wasn't up to par and eat the cost of the required insurance? A lesson learned sometimes costs money.

Mike :)

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hertz Huatulco scam?

I confirmed with Hertz ahead of time, twice, that I did not need any insurance add ons. The local Hertz office in Huatulco ripped me off by requiring me to include add ons I did not need or want. And the Hertz company is not willing to do anything to help. Also, It is strange to me that renting a car in the states is so easy, yet in Huatulco, there is one desk clerk, you wait in line while it takes 20-30 minutes to process each customer. In the states, you are in your car in less than 5 minutes. The same on the return -- 30 minutes of waiting. I would avoid Hertz Huatulco.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
159 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hertz Huatulco scam?

It is unfortunate that you felt your experience here in Mexico would be in any way similar to that in the US. As you might have noticed at the airport, after going through immigration and customs, you are now in a different country. As Dorothy said, " we're not in Kansas anymore Toto". Perhaps an extra large glas of "chill" might make your holiday a bit more enjoyable. Slow down, stop thinking you are in your home country and try to breath. It would have made no difference had to gone to any of the car rental agencies, they all make you buy insurance of whatever level you feel comfortable with, minimum or maximum. I hate to sound preachy, but the sooner you stop comparing where you are now, to where you came from, you will have a much better experience. Viva Mexico!

Edited: 18 February 2018, 07:50
Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hertz Huatulco scam?

with all due respect, "in the states" is different than "not in the states". every country is different with their requirements be it insurance, driver's license, drinking age etc etc. You will find travel much more pleasant if you simply work with the laws and rules of where you are and don't compare it to your home country. I understand it can be frustrating and even bewildering at times but you know what they say. It is what it is...

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hertz Huatulco scam?

I loved Mexico and everything was expected, except the car rental. Mexico has a really great service culture -- people love to help and are warm genuine people with a real knack for service. Just nto so with Hertz Huatulco. And I think it is good for people to know that Hertz, while a large company, is different in Mexico. And when you reserve a car, you should be warned it is not as advertised.

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hertz Huatulco scam?

I love Mexico and I love doing my own driving when I travel to Mexico. That means renting a car. As someone pointed out you just need to be aware that the experience may be different than you're used to in the US, and you need to protect yourself against that.

Something I never realized until I had my own horrible experience with the Hertz in Huatulco (them accusing me of damage I did not cause/July 2018) is that Hertz licenses its name to independent car rental businesses. The Hertz in Huatulco is an "independent licensee." This explains why you can have a great experience renting cars from Hertz in the US and a 'different' experience renting cars from Hertz independent licensees elsewhere.

Here are my tips for renting a car in Mexico (and elsewhere in Latin America):

1) buy the collision insurance that covers 100% of damage, even if it's covered by your credit card. I've always done this in the past and it makes returning the car easy because you're basically covered to completely destroy it. Buying the collision insurance will raise the rate substantially, but the benefit is a hassle-free drop-off. This time I decided to roll the dice because collision insurance is covered by my Chase Visa. Well, sure enough, Hertz Huatulco found some tiny damage to the front molding that I did not cause or notice when I picked up the vehicle in Oaxaca. It's so easy for them to exploit this for profit if you did not purchase the collision insurance (and the fact is they do not know that you did not cause the damage). It's now two months later and I do not yet have the accident report I need to file a claim with my credit card. I doubt I'll ever receive it. And you can't get any documentation from Hertz because the operation in Huatulco isn't really Hertz. That little lesson cost me $500. I'm actually grateful they didn't charge more!

2) pay to have the car detailed before you return it. This is cheap to do in Mexico and a bit of a pain in the butt, but most importantly, it is expected of you. I returned my car to Huatulco and it had some sand on the floorboards from beach trips. I'm talking about a small amount of sand that nobody would blink an eye at if you returned the vehicle in the states. The scribbled on my return ticket "VEHICULO SUCIO". I found it amusing, but just realize there are different expectations.

3) if you do not buy the collision insurance, video the walk around with the agent and photograph everything. Look for damage and make sure they make a note of it. When I say look for damage, I mean get on the ground and study the wheel wells, the hub caps, the undercarriage, etc, etc, etc. Look for parts that are held together with tape. Check everything, because when you return it, they are going to check it thoroughly for damage.

This is from the official Hertz web site, which will give you a flavor of how normal Hertz rules and regulations do not apply to the independent licensees.

The term "Hertz" means The Hertz Corporation and its subsidiaries worldwide. The term "Hertz" does not include independent car rental businesses using the "Hertz" trademark under a license from Hertz. (We call those independent businesses "Hertz licensees".) The policies and procedures of Hertz licensees with respect to rate quotes, reservations and prepaid rental transactions (as those terms are used below) may differ from those of Hertz. As a consequence, if you obtain a rate quote from Hertz, make a reservation with Hertz or arrange with Hertz for a prepaid rental transaction and the quote, reservation or transaction involves a Hertz licensee, you may be advised that the rules appearing below do not apply in one or more respects. If you receive such advice, that advice will supersede what appears below.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hertz Huatulco scam?

It's also a good idea to be with the people who inspect the car when returning. I've had a scam(not in Mexico) where we both walked into the office and left the guy alone who was checking the vehicle in and he keyed an obvious scratch on the driver door. Of course he wanted a bribe to not report it.... grrrrrr Arrive a bit early and be diligent.

Reply to: Hertz Huatulco scam?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Huatulco
Recent Conversations