We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to exchange currency

Lemont, Illinois...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
Best place to exchange currency

Son is travelling to Acapulco this weekend for Spring Break. What is the best safe place for him to exchange dollars to Pesos. I assume Pesos are best for spending. He is staying at the Grand Mayan.

7 replies to this topic
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
9,112 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to exchange currency

I like to arrive with some Pesos so it isn't my first priority. I then draw Pesos from a bank affiliated ATM. They are everywhere.

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,042 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to exchange currency

There will surely be ATM's on the Mayan property that's always the best way.

Make sure he notifies his bank he will be traveling to Mexico so they can put a travel alert on the card.

If it's easier he can bring some like stated above. My bank usually has within 2 days when ordered.

Edited: 15 March 2017, 10:27
Coon Rapids...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to exchange currency

As always, anywhere, it's safe to carry smaller amounts of money.

I recommend using the ATM!

You can make withdrawals daily or every few days!

Great exchange rates, convenient and no banks visits!

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to exchange currency

I always use ATMs. I like the one at the bank in the Zocalo, because it gives all denominations so you don't have to find smaller bills. I'm usually watching around me, but once when I left a bill in the machine, and a man chased me to give it to me. How cool is that? Love the people of Acapulco.

MIAMI
Level Contributor
782 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to exchange currency

Check with your bank to find out which Mexican banks are affiliated so that you don't pay whopping transaction fees/foreign currency fees. Those daily visits could cost a bundle! Then google the nearest ATM to your hotel.

Bryn Mawr...
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to exchange currency

Just wondering what kind of fees poeple are paying ? I have a transaction fee and along with the ATM fee it is very small a couple bucks at most

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,548 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to exchange currency

I use Bank of America. In Acapulco I used Scotiabank this last trip and had no ATM fees but BOA charges a 3% international transaction fee. There's not much difference for me from using the ATM or getting my pesos before I leave home. The ATM is always going to give you the most current rate.

Reply to: Best place to exchange currency
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Acapulco
Recent Conversations