We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feels Great To Be Back ...

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,174 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Feels Great To Be Back ...

We arrived last Wednesday; but our luggage took the long route and came in Thursday afternoon. Have been going with the flow since then, and everyday is perfect.

Puente weekend was pretty busy and crowded. Still used to our January time frame, but anytime is a good time to be here.

Dinner last night at Zibu was awesome. Highly recommend it for a special night out.

Tapa Tapa in Costa Azul is also worth a visit. VERY reasonable prices. Their flan catalina, which is actually a creme brulee, is the best I have had anywhere! To die for! US$2.25

Pulpo al ajo at the Cabana was as good as ever; an enjoyable poolside stay at the Flamingos, followed by sunset; a day out at Vayma; and a relaxing poolside afternoon at the Malibu (and great conversation with Norton and Lois).

Another week to enjoy it all ...

Gotta go; we have dinner reservations tonight at the Malibu ... and to enjoy the show.

We feel blessed to be able to vacation in this wonderful city ...

More later.

40 replies to this topic
Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Feels Great To Be Back ...

I was wondering when you would check in. Keep enjoying!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
457 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feels Great To Be Back ...

Nice to see you back

Floral Park, New...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
7,041 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Feels Great To Be Back ...

Thanks for posting Ron keep up the good times!!

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,190 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feels Great To Be Back ...

Attaboy. It never gets old and neither do we, when we're in Acapulco. I'm coming back in 7 days to keep the feeling going. Cheers.

Coon Rapids...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Feels Great To Be Back ...

Wow I agree with your comments about the busy weekend! It was just packed everywhere!

Made it feel like the old days when it was always that busy.

Tuesday morning felt so different! Quiet as could be!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,209 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feels Great To Be Back ...

Glad y'all are back and having such a great time! Keep us posted :)

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Feels Great To Be Back ...

Sooner or later, everyone's trip comes to an end — and ours came to a close Monday night. For the first time, our return flight was a red-eye from CDMX to NYC; and because we'd been up for more than 24 hours, we were in bed by mid afternoon yesterday (hence my early morning post today). Thinking of Charlie and Jane and Snork who are heading down there today or tomorrow, wishing all of you safe travels and another great trip. We may all vacation a little differently; but we all agree on one thing — that there's no place on the planet like Acapulco. It's an ever-changing but never-changing city. Hot and sunny weather (day after day, week after week), scores of eateries and restaurants (far too many to get to), and good-hearted Acapulqueño people who always welcome us back (and never forget a face, no matter how long we've been away). As I mentioned above, I really feel blessed that Val and I were able to enjoy another trip to Acapulco — though both of us wish our stay had been longer. We're hoping we can somehow push it to three weeks in 2018.

Though I didn't bother to record every detail of this trip, I'll try to post some random thoughts and comments as they come to mind. We managed to do a fair amount of running around; but my hips have been bothering me in recent years, making it more difficult to walk the Costera like I used to do. I probably need replacements, but I'm too young for that.

More later ...

FYI: Because one of the locals graciously corrected (and educated) me, I thought I'd pass along the fact that Mexico City is now officially referred to as 'Ciudad de Mexico' (CDMX for short) — not the Distrito Federal (or DF). Its international airport, however, is still known as MEX.

Ontario
Level Contributor
4,190 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Feels Great To Be Back ...

Glad you and Val made it and enjoyed it again. I'm at my desk at 4:00 a.m. waiting for the airport limo :) I may just stay off line for another week. Viva Acapulco.

Pinellas Park...
Destination Expert
for Acapulco
Level Contributor
3,547 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Feels Great To Be Back ...

One more day and I'm on my way. I can't wait to experience a little of what Ron just had.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
9,174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Feels Great To Be Back ...

'Travel Days, Interjet, & The Airports'

In many ways, this trip to Acapulco was very different (and a lot more stressful) than others; but those two weeks in ACA made it all worth it. We don't usually pack for the trip until the day before we leave, and it's never been a big deal. Same stuff everytime: shorts, sandals, teeshirts, sunscreen, and a dressier outfit for a special night out. So at T minus 21 hours, I pulled down the attic stairs to get our luggage — but it was nowhere in sight! Val was out running a few errands as I searched the house and garage, wondering where-the-hell I put the suitcases; but come to find out, she had loaned them to a family member who had never returned them. Needless to say, RonVal wasn't a happy camper — at all. It was late morning and the snow was coming down pretty heavy by then; but I've got to go out shopping for some new luggage :(

T minus 15 hours and the new suitcases are filling up. I'm grateful that Interjet still allows 55 pounds per suitcase (and up to 2 suitcases per passenger) — at no additional charge! WoW! $295 for the airfare and no luggage fees. That's a bargain and a half. By late afternoon, the snow was tapering off, but I knew I wouldn't be getting much shut-eye before heading to JFK. There was about 6-8 inches of new stuff on the ground and it was time to pull out the snowblower; but I had a picture of Acapulco Bay in my mind as I moved up and down the driveway with half-a-smile on my face. Nothing can stop us now :)

At T minus 5 hours (2am) a friend showed up to take us to the airport. It's only an 85-mile ride; but not knowing the condition of the roads, I wanted to leave a little earlier. It's been quite a while since we've flown out of JFK; and though none of us knows the area too well, it's a straightforward shot down the Hutch and I opted to do the driving. Big mistake! The roads were clear and there was little traffic at that time of the morning; but at some point I must've veered off in the wrong direction — and before I knew it we were somewhere out by the Harlem River. Thank God for Siri (and my buddy's smartphone).

Thirty miles later we arrived at JFK, still plenty early. It was about 4:15 when we checked our luggage at the Interjet counter. No issues at all, and only a dozen or so people ahead of us. Not much is open at that time, but we spotted a Dunkin' Donuts stand, grabbed a couple of small coffees and two donuts, and made ourselves comfortable on a nearby bench. I knew we weren't in Mexico yet because coffee and donuts came to almost ten bucks. Aside from the fact that I prefer to fly out of LaGuardia or Newark, our flight from JFK was timely and uneventful. I still miss those non-stops outta Newark though.

After a comfortable flight we arrived @ MEX around 11am. I had intentionally chosen a window seat (for Val) and an aisle seat (for me) with an empty one between us; and because the flight wasn't too crowded, we ended up with three seats (as I had hoped for). After booking our airfare back in May, Interjet had canceled our original 2:15 flight to ACA and bumped us to 5:30; so we knew that we had a while to hang around. But that was okay, and we were far more relaxed by then — at least for the moment. Like everyone else, we were standing at the baggage carousel watching for our 'new' luggage; but for some reason it wasn't showing up. WTF?! The crowd kept dwindling until there were only about a dozen or so travelers left — and that's when the next shoe fell off.

< We're so sorry, folks, but your luggage is still in New York. There was a problem with one of the conveyor belts and it never made it onto the plane. We'll deliver it to your hotel by tomorrow night. >

I was tired and frustrated, but after waiting in line to fill out some forms I somehow managed to laugh. Immigration and customs was a breeze.

... to be continued

Reply to: Feels Great To Be Back ...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Acapulco
Recent Conversations