We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

route 40 through Monterrey

Ajijic, Mexico
Level Contributor
93 posts
51 reviews
route 40 through Monterrey

In the past, coming from Saltillo, I have driven the Hwy 40 truck route that goes north of Monterrey to Cadereyta. It is fast & smooth but seems quite a bit farther than route 40 that runs through south Monterrey. My GPS is recommending taking that south route. It has been 5 years since I have gone though Monterrey & I know improvements could have been made to this south route. This will be midday on Friday Sept 7. Any suggestions or recommendations on which road is better.

2 replies to this topic
Ajijic, Mexico
Level Contributor
93 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: route 40 through Monterrey

PLEASE - someone out there must drive that route. Is the lower , south, route completed all the way across Monterrey or am I better taking the northern "truck"route ???

Texas
Level Contributor
242 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: route 40 through Monterrey

I hesitated to answer because I've only driven parts of both routes. The 'north' route is only 2 minutes longer as of right now on a Sunday, as of course you can calculate easily too with Google Maps. But traffic on a Friday afternoon I think could be a crapshoot. If it was my trip, I'm taking the known, 'north' route if it's the end of a full day of driving rather than risk some sort of delay.

Reply to: route 40 through Monterrey
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted