We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about greyhound and crossing border

6 posts
1 review
Questions about greyhound and crossing border

I'm a Texan vacationing at the beach in Mexico. I have a flight in a few days that gets into Monterrey airport a little after midnight. I'd like to bus back to Austin ASAP after landing.

The only overnight direct bus I'd be able to catch leaves from the MTY Greyhound station at 3am. Can you give me your opinion on whether a gringo should be worried about hanging around the MTY greyhound station for a couple of hours very late night on a weekend? Feels potentially sketchy.

There are some earlier buses leaving from the main bus station (which I know is large and full of attendants), but those buses would only take me as far as Nuevo Leon. If you have opinions on busing to Nuevo Leon and crossing by taxi/foot (USA passport), I'd love to hear if that is a good option these days. If it goes quickly maybe I could even catch up with an earlier bus, no?

Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
2 posts
1. Re: Questions about greyhound and crossing border

If you having ifs about bordering crossing on foot. Just take a direct service bus that crosses the border.

6 posts
1 review
2. Re: Questions about greyhound and crossing border

I'm gonna answer my own question, bc I just experienced it. The Monterrey Greyhound station is not sketchy. Attendants are there at least til 3pm. It's not in a gathering place for derelicts. (This happens sometimes with U.S. Greyhound stations, and since Monterrey has a high-crime reputation, I was worried it might not be well-attended.) Anyway, it's a pretty comfortable place to spend a late-night layover.

6 posts
1 review
3. Re: Questions about greyhound and crossing border

Also, in my original question above, I meant Nuevo Laredo, not Nuevo Leon.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
117 posts
4. Re: Questions about greyhound and crossing border

Thanks for updating us all Mike

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
51 posts
5. Re: Questions about greyhound and crossing border

Hello Mike, how would you rate the bus ride itself?

6 posts
1 review
6. Re: Questions about greyhound and crossing border

It's pretty rough, mostly bc of the border crossing. The bus will wait in line at the border for multiple hours, and then you'll have to get out for a while for the border bureaucracy. Greyhounds aren't super comfortable. You may find better bus options at the central station in Monterrey. But it'll get you there safely, etc.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
51 posts
7. Re: Questions about greyhound and crossing border

Thanks MIke. Did you mean Turimex Bus by better bus options? But the border crossing hassle would be the same right?

Edited: 02 December 2018, 05:39
6 posts
1 review
8. Re: Questions about greyhound and crossing border

Yes I think border hassle is the same for any bus. I don't know all the bus options or how they compare for seat comfort. Greyhound is definitely not one of those first-class overnight deals with a luxurious reclining seat. If Turimex is the one that stops at e. 7th in Austin, I've taken that one too and it is comparable to Greyhound comfort-wise.

6 posts
1 review
9. Re: Questions about greyhound and crossing border

In comment #2 above, I meant to type that attendants are at the MTY Greyhound station til at least 3am.

Florida
2 posts
10. Re: Questions about greyhound and crossing border

I’m planning on taking the Greyhound from San Antonio to Mty in a little over a week.. Was there much concern about the safety along the highway from Laredo to Mty at night? (I leave San Anton about midnight.)

Reply to: Questions about greyhound and crossing border
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted