We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking in the Dolomites in mid-late May

San Diego...
1 post
Save Topic
Hiking in the Dolomites in mid-late May

Hi everyone,

Is this possible? We booked two nights in Cortina d'Ampezzo, and from the looks of other posts in this forum it seems like hiking isn't possible in May.

We were thinking of doing Tre Cime de Lavaredo weather permitting, will this trail be closed? If so, does anyone have any alternative suggestions for nice viewpoints or walks near CdA? It would be a shame not to have the opportunity to see the beautiful mountains.

Any advice/feedback would be incredibly helpful, thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cortina d'Ampezzo
Cortina d'Ampezzo
Province of Belluno, Italy
1 reply
San Lorenzo di...
Destination Expert
for South Tyrol Dolomites
Level Contributor
731 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking in the Dolomites in mid-late May

Mid-late May is most likely too early for Tre Cime, the road to Rif. Auronzo reopens only late May - depending on conditions.

As far as conditions are concerned it's very good in terms of the snowmelt, but I can only see good hiking conditions towards mid June, not for next week. Look, check conditions on the webcams, i.e here http://www.5torri.it/webcam/

But mind you, next couple of days we're experiencing the "Ice Saints" days, an annual weather-occurance with rather cold weather. So there is a likelyhood that we get some snow above 2.000m. So be prepared.

I do hope, that you will have good weather during your stay. If you can't go for hikes, then you could go for drives (Dolomiti passes, Lago di Misurina, Lago di Braies, etc.) so you can enjoy the views from the road, these are excellent - just check them on google street view.

Mentioned in this post
Lago di Misurina
Lago di Misurina
1,028 Reviews
Auronzo di Cadore, Italy
Braies
Braies
Province of South Tyrol, Italy
Reply to: Hiking in the Dolomites in mid-late May
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Province of Trento