We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs, not the biting type....

Brooklyn, New York
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bugs, not the biting type....

Hi... First and foremost thank you for taking the time to read my question... I know what to expect of the out islands for the most part...as I have been to Great Exuma a few times, 1st time back in 2003, last time this past September. I am not looking for the Ritz... however I am looking for a bug free experience inside of my hotel room or rental.

This being said... I have read reviews from visitors to Cat Island describing roaches in their rooms, water bugs, huge spiders... is there any place on the island that is a pretty safe bet to avoid such an occurence. I have read that Fernandez Bay Village sprays for mosquitos... do they also take precaution to eliminate the non-biting but unwelcome big bugs from entering the rooms?

On that note... the cicadas in Exuma at the end of August beginning of September last year were just out of control... you could not hike through trails without waving your hand in front of your face to ensure they wouldn't accidently fly into it... is Cat Island like this with the Cicadas? We like to explore and walk a lot and it would be terribly unpleasant if we had to deal with that again. If the cicadas are rampant on Cat, would it be an issue as early as Memorial Day?

Sorry for a thousand questions... lastly.... seashells / sand dollars.... are they as abundant on Cat Island as Great Exuma?

If anyone has any questions about Exuma I'd be happy to answer if I can.

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Great Exuma
Great Exuma
Out Islands
Cat Island
Cat Island
Out Islands
Fernandez Bay Village
Fernandez Bay Village
334 Reviews
Cat Island
8 replies to this topic
Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,970 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs, not the biting type....

The hard truth is that if you're going to the out islands, you're going to find bugs. No getting around that -- even in the most upscale 5-star resort. Since you've been to Great Exuma, you know the drill. Cat Island will be much the same, though likely more rustic than Exuma, depending where you're staying.

Sea shells and sanddollars are also in Cat Island, though you'll need to look on the "lee" side for sandollars, as they tend to live in the shallows. The ocean facing beaches are great for shells -- look for a beach that doesn't have a lot of reefs offshore and you'll find shells get less beaten up there on their way to shore. Look for the tiny little green shells -- they are beautiful when you get a large cluster of them together. They are little more than a few grains of sand!

Just remember to make sure the occupant of the shell is finished using it before taking it!

Mentioned in this post
Great Exuma
Great Exuma
Out Islands
Cat Island
Cat Island
Out Islands
Brooklyn, New York
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs, not the biting type....

Thank you Dusty-traveller. Yes, I do know there will be bugs, spiders, scorpions.... I am only concerned about inside the living quarters... Also, wondering if the cicadas are an every year occurence there and if so, are they out and about at the end or May beginning of June?

Thank you also for the advice on the shells. I would never harm a shell inhabitant or displace anything other than a white sand dollar or empty sea urchin shell. I have a great respect for nature :)

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
5,970 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs, not the biting type....

LOL! No worries, I only mentioned this, as there have been more than a few visitors who pick up what look like empty shells and pack them in their luggage only to discover some pretty rank smelling luggage at their destination!

Michigan
Level Contributor
134 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs, not the biting type....

Just got back last night and I can say for the most part minus the scorpion we didn't have bugs attacking us in the house. We never saw any roaches or large spiders at the house inside. Dragon flies seem to be the thing on Cat Island. Everywhere we looked there were dragon flies and a lot of them outside. I have heard they are good luck? The killer is the sand flea bugs that you can't really see until you feel the bite. Currently I'm covered in them and pretty uncomfortable. I wore bug spray 24/7 and we came inside at dusk. They just love me! Hubby has maybe one bite. I think they get in through the screens even into the house as we always left the windows open.The wind on the island for the most part keeps the bugs away. Since it rained all six days we were there my guess is the mosquito's will be in full force shortly. I guess my thought is that I'll take the bug bites which I counter act with Bennadryl over the craziness of a super populated island. As far as shells go I didn't find a ton that were not broken up but I did find beach glass over on "lee" side along with tons of plastic which just breaks my heart.

Mentioned in this post
Cat Island
Cat Island
Out Islands
Burlington, Vermont
Destination Expert
for Burlington
Level Contributor
3,014 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugs, not the biting type....

No cicadas that we saw mid-July last summer on Cat. Land crabs EVERYWHERE though, on the roads and all over the hiking trail to Man o War, which we thought was kind of cool.

We had a resident frog, or maybe frogs, in the bathroom of our rental home. He'd be in the toilet or the shower most days. Freaked my wife out pretty good on the first day, but after we knew to expect him, no big deal.

A snake slithered by one afternoon in the rocks a few feet in front of our porch. And lots and lots of curly-tailed lizards.

Not really bugs/spiders in the home that I recall, but honestly it would not have surprised me. The homes on Cat are built in completely undeveloped areas where lots of bugs and critters live, so it's just natural that they will find ways into the homes.

Hanover
Level Contributor
247 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bugs, not the biting type....

May I ask what the "lee" side is?

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bugs, not the biting type....

The lee side is the protected side, opposite of the windward side. In the Bahamas, the side facing west, sometimes called the Caribbean side is the lee side. The side facing east, sometimes called the Atlantic side faces east. Usually the plastic is on the windward side in my experience.

Edited: 25 June 2018, 12:41
Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bugs, not the biting type....

Not everyone has the same reaction to bugs.

If you do, as do I, try starting with non-prescription lortadine in the morning before, and during, your trip.

Also, once bitten try non-persciption cortisone 1% ointment to relieve symptoms.

I end up taking with me, but not using, the Benadryl at night.

Jeff

Reply to: Bugs, not the biting type....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cat Island