We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Andros Vs Exuma

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
193 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Andros Vs Exuma

I am in the beginning process of planning a trip to the Bahamas and was considering Andros and Exuma.

Andros seems like you can do a lot of exploring on your own, which should be cheaper and lots of fun. I am hoping there is enough snorkeling options right off the beach and that the beaches are pretty enough.

Exuma sounds like it may be prettier in general but seems you have to take a tour to do most things. Is there much snorkeling here right off the beach?

We are a young couple but also don't need the nightlife. Just exploring of all kinds, lots of snorkeling and maybe some diving.

I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Andros Vs Exuma

you are comparing apples and oranges my friend!

But you can still be pretty DIY on either island with the exception of the tours that go to the upper Exuma Cays (those do require a tour operator). Andros is huge and has a much more diversified flora and fauna. Its very remote. Which part were you thinking of staying on? We have only ever been to the northern land mass of Andros. The island is separated by water into 3 or 4 sections. You can rent a boat from Minns in Great Exuma and get to some nice coral heads in Elizabeth Harbour. Kayaking is really fun there as well. It's really hard to compare the two b/c they are so different.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
193 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Andros Vs Exuma

I know :) Both sound great, I just don't know how to decide.

I was looking at either staying in the northern part of Andros, Nicholls Town or maybe more central in Andros Town.

If we stayed on Exuma, I was looking at a place between Michelson and Hartswell https://www.vrbo.com/995610ha#

To rent the boats from Minns, do you need a permit or boat license to drive? $155 to take the boat for a day sounds awesome!

How would you say price compares? I checked out flights and vacation rentals and they are pretty similar. How is it with taxi's, rental cars, food, liquor, tour prices, etc.?

Are the beaches/ snorkeling better at one or the other?

Thanks again!

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Andros Vs Exuma

I am not familiar with the vrbo rental but it looks like it's on the "south" side of the island as they say. Great Exuma is kind of diagonal so they call the north side "west" and the south side "east". It's all very confusing but from the vrbo map it looks like the apt is on the left side of the island and there aren't many beaches, if any, on that side. I would say rentals on Exuma are more expensive but everything else, from what I remember, is pretty comparable.

We've only been to Andros once and stayed in the Davis Creek area (near Fresh Creek) but we drove all the way north to Morgan's Bluff and Bowe Sound and all the way south to Behring Point. We ate at mostly local joints with the exception of one dinner at Small Hope Bay Lodge which was expensive but worth it. Some grocery items were hard to find (we had trouble finding ice). It's way more remote than any island we've been to so far but we met some awesome people. Our neighbors were US employees of AUTEC and we hung out with a guy named Phil on our porch most evenings and were even invited to a birthday party for one of them. We didn't get to do much snorkeling because a cold front came through making it windy, cool and overcast. Weather seems to hang around Andros longer than other islands. If I could describe Andros in two words it would be BIG and NATURAL. You'll see WAY more pine trees than palm trees there. You'll probably never see the west side of the island unless you drive to Red Bays (google that, very interesting). You'll do ALOT of driving if you want to explore. The major attractions for us were the Blue Holes, Androsia Factory and the creeks. Had the weather been better, the major attraction would have been the 3rd largest barrier reef in the world behind Australia and Belize. I'm not sure how much shore snorkeling you can do in North/Central Andros but then again, there's not a ton of shore snorkeling from Great Exuma either.

You don't need any kind of license to rent a boat from Minns in Exuma. It's loads of fun. You just need some basic boat skills and common sense of course. The coral heads we were able to snorkel were actually very pretty and healthy looking. Snorkeling around the cuts between the cays can be a little daunting as the current can get very swift. There's a lot more to do on G Exuma compared to Andros and the water and beaches are much prettier. We had a great time on both islands.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
193 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Andros Vs Exuma

Thanks for your help, I still have a lot to consider.

We will be visiting in November and have heard that the cold fronts may be worse or last longer in Andros than other Bahamas islands. Maybe this time of the year isn't the best to visit Andros?

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
193 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Andros Vs Exuma

Do you think Eleuthera has a good amount/ same amount of DIY stuff at Exuma and Andros? This is the impression I have after looking a few things up.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Andros Vs Exuma

Yes, went there in our honeymoon which was in early November and have been back twice since then. Really you can't go wrong. I bought a travel book on the Bahamas and just read about each island. That is how I decided on Eleuthera for our honeymoon

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,641 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Andros Vs Exuma

I just got back from Exuma and Long Island. I was there 11/19 to 12/5. I thought the water was a tad chilly. I did wear my shorty wetsuit for the all day snorkel trip. But I like warm water so other people may find it just fine

Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
180 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Andros Vs Exuma

I have to agree on the water temps in late November, early December. We visited Eleuthera at that time in 2013, and there were days where there was a chill. We are headed to Andros this year, but our travel time has switched to June due to our daughter's college schedule, so it's a perfect time to visit, especially with crab fest! If we were traveling around Thanksgiving again, I would go BVI or farther south.

Reply to: Andros Vs Exuma
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Andros
Recent Conversations