We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Out Island Experts: Why isn't Andros more popular??

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
176 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Out Island Experts: Why isn't Andros more popular??

(Sorry for all the questions lately on the Out Islands Forum - I'm crazy about research!)

My husband and are nature-lovers. We love mangroves and forests and wildlife and snorkeling and beaches. It seems like Andros is the no-brainer. But it doesn't seem like there are very many forum posts about it. And American Airlines will fly directly into Exumas and Eleuthera (the other two we're considering), but not Andros. Why not?? It's a huge island with tons of nature - why does it seem like the unpopular sibling?

I'm hoping one of you experts (someone that's been to Eleuthera, Exumas, Long, etc. AND to Andros) can provide me with good advice on whether or not to keep considering this island.

Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Out Island Experts: Why isn't Andros more popular??

My theory: Andros is surrounded by SHALLOW water. Great for bonefishing, but not for docking big cruise ships. According to some summer regulars we met, the US Navy actually had to carve out a space for their ships at the AUTEC base near here, there's a little spot in the North at Morgan's Bluff but it is hard for big ships to dock.

The US actually has 3 bases here on Andros and we pay millions of dollars "rent" to use the space. In return I think we "help" the goverment (though more effort could be used to improve the roads which are so pitted by potholes that all drivers weave down the road). They use the waters around Andros to play "war games" with other nations, too. That might be hampering commercial and tourist traffic.

There is no drugs or crime here on Andros. If you wanted to engage in trafficking, would you choose an island with the US Navy boats passing back and forth?

So the island is poor-but-honest and very rural. It is a undeveloped, underappreciated gem where you will not find high-end shops, pizza or chinese food. But to relax at an affordable place on the beach -- the real thing. And you can leave your car unlocked!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Out Island Experts: Why isn't Andros more popular??

About the no drugs on Andros comment. We were told by the caretaker of our villa to avoid certain areas due to marijuana cultivation. And sure enough, a few months later we see an episode about it on a US Coast Guard series. The Coast Guard was helping with the destruction of the fields. Evidently we help The Bahamas with law enforcement on occasion. We felt relatively safe there and had no issues, but both villas on the property had bars on every window. We've stayed on 7 out islands and have only experienced bars on the windows on Andros. So to say there is no crime on Andros is a stretch.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Out Island Experts: Why isn't Andros more popular??

Well, ok I've heard about an arrest of 5 smugglers here last week. But I mean, very low crime, and certainly very little crime against tourists.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
330 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Out Island Experts: Why isn't Andros more popular??

Every dime from base rent goes to Nasseau to pay down the national debt. Andros gets nothing. The island has pot but so does every state in the U.S. The roads are tough heading down north from fresh creek.

15. Re: Out Island Experts: Why isn't Andros more popular??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2017, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about Andros
Recent Conversations