We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help picking an Out Island - bonefishing

richmond
Level Contributor
169 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Help picking an Out Island - bonefishing

Here's the scoop - hubbie wants ( 2 ) 1/2 day bonefishing guided trips. I want to have a nice beach & pool. Looking for a safe area where we can do our own thing.

Wondering if we can rent a golf cart to get around & a small motor boat to explore the area. That sounds like fun to us.

Can anyone make some suggestions as I've been looking at The Abacos - but can't find out if it's the area we'd like to be.

Appreciate anyone's viewpoints -

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help picking an Out Island - bonefishing

Abaco would be a good choice, or maybe look at Green Turtle Cay.

Gastonia, North...
Level Contributor
3,549 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help picking an Out Island - bonefishing

Try Cape Santa Maria in Long Island. No pool but with that beach you don't need a pool. We don't fish but when we were there heard really good things about the bonefishing.

Also Great Exuma. More options there for places with pools, restaurants etc. Haven't been yet, doing research.

Andros may be a bit too remote for you but it's called the bonefishing capital of the world. There are a couple of resorts and I think they have pools (Tiamo, Kamalame Cay). It's very large and separated into 3 sections. We stayed in Fresh Creek.

Haven't heard much about the bonefishing in the Abacos.

Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help picking an Out Island - bonefishing

Stella Maris on Long Island has a nice pool, but isn't directly on a calm beach. Long Island has good bonefishing.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
246 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help picking an Out Island - bonefishing

We have been to both Stella Maris and Cape Santa Maria on Long Isalnd. If you can get over the need for a pool, the bay at Cape Santa Maria is like a big swimming pool. Calm, clear, warm and shallow! with a sandy bottom. The bonefishing is terrific! Guides are excellent. It must be the most beautiful beach we have ever seen!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
246 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help picking an Out Island - bonefishing

BTW-My profile pic is from Cape Santa Maria!

Long Island
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help picking an Out Island - bonefishing

"BTW-My profile pic is from Cape Santa Maria!"

My pic is Ford's beach near South End - probably almost 80 miles by road from CSM . :)

richmond
Level Contributor
169 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help picking an Out Island - bonefishing

Thanks for your suggestions!

After doing research of his own, my husband seems hooked on Eleuthera.

Can anyone recommend any hotels?

8. Re: Help picking an Out Island - bonefishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2013, 02:15
Get answers to your questions about Great Abaco Island
More Great Abaco Island Topics