We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time at atlantis

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
136 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
First time at atlantis

I am thinking of booking a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom at the Harborside Resort. I got a great price for the week of July 4-11th. It will be vacation rental by owner. I am concerned being that this is a U.S. holiday, although not a Bahamas holiday, about how crowded it will be. I read that there is a lot going on at this time and it is very crowded. I also read that it is not so crowded that that it should not deter me. Should I book or not? (Mom, dad, 3 kids, and grandma.) I am also concerned about the economy, (Could be crowded or not.)

Wooster, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time at atlantis

shadow, If you want to go to Harborside and you got what you feel is a fair price, book it. If it's "crowded", more pools and restaurants will be open. The place is so large, you don't feel like you're being stampeded. If it happens to be slower, you'll find some dining options will be closed but you'll still be able to eat at most restaurants on your short list. Either way I wouldn't let the number of people deter me. Those who don't have to watch their portfolio too closely will be traveling. The rest of us have to be a bit more careful. Who knows what will happen after Nov.4.

Boston...
Level Contributor
147 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time at atlantis

I agree w/the above post also. we went last April during a school vacation week and didn't find it so crowded that it was unenjoyable. Harborside has their own pool also which is always less crowded than the rest of the resort. If you were able to get a good price I would definitely go for it. Have fun!

Tampa, Fl
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time at atlantis

That is a far away commitment to make without being able to cancel IMO. Lots different that booking through a hotel that allows cancellations with full refunds up to 30 days or even less.

Wooster, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time at atlantis

baja, Oh my! I have our vacations booked at least a year out. With trading timeshare weeks and being the first at work to nab THE week I want, we have to. July is only 9 months away and if you want to use your Harborside week in your given unit, you need to book at least that far out. The only reason I would think twice is... we don't know how much further our economy is going to tank.

Tampa, Fl
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time at atlantis

"baja, Oh my! I have our vacations booked at least a year out. With trading timeshare weeks and being the first at work to nab THE week I want, we have to. July is only 9 months away and if you want to use your Harborside week in your given unit, you need to book at least that far out. The only reason I would think twice is... we don't know how much further our economy is going to tank."

I don't have a problem with planning vacations a long time out....I do it myself. The issue I brought up is that not being a time share owner and buying the week from an individual means you are financially committed to it.....there is no getting out and getting your money back. Now if you are a time share owner trading a week thats another story as you were already committed. Why take on the full financial risk that far out. As you mention the economy is terrible and none of us have any idea where it's going to be in 9 months from now....to much downside IMO to take the risk....book a hotel that you can cancel within 30 days or less from check-in. If not just wait as I am sure the deals are only going to get better.....after all you are talking July....that is not exactly the peak of season for Atlantis....look at the specials they ran this summer to try to attract visitors.

Wooster, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Paradise Island
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time at atlantis

bajathree, gottchya. Point taken.

Geneva, Illinois
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First time at atlantis

I was there 7/6-7/13 this past summer. It was crowded, but it never felt that way since the resort is so huge. Don't let the crowds deter you.

8. Re: First time at atlantis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 01:29
Get answers to your questions about Paradise Island