We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opening a can...but Grande Bay Rental

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
28 reviews
Opening a can...but Grande Bay Rental

We booked our flights are now trying to find a place to stay. I am thinking that I would like to stay at Grande Bay, but I will be honest, I am having trouble navigating all the options.

I know I want a 1 bedroom, not a studio, as I must have a full kitchen.

The rates vary so much from site to site, VRBO, homeway, Grande Bay, etc.

Does anyone have a solid recommendation for a unit that will give me the best deal? I know this subject can get a little dicey here, so if you would prefer to PM me, that is fine too.

I would also prefer not to post my dates, so I may respond via PM, if necessary.

Thanks!

Edited: 01 March 2011, 09:07
Parker, CO
Level Contributor
803 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: Opening a can...but Grande Bay Rental

You are a brave man, Tink. The GB haters are coming!!!

I have personally been inside this 1 br at Grande Bay and it was gorgous! We didn't stay there -we were visiting friends who were staying there. They got a nice deal from the owners and said that they were nice to work with.

http://www.stjohnescape.com

It's also an end unit, so the views were amazing.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Opening a can...but Grande Bay Rental

I can handle it! That is a great unit but a very popular one at that. It is booked for our dates

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
872 posts
110 reviews
3. Re: Opening a can...but Grande Bay Rental

Want to hear what you think about this Tink. We are thinking a 1 br Grande Bay condo for our trip in the late fall. We are also considering the apartment you recommended through STJ Properties, but Grande Bay looks really appealing.

Boston...
Level Contributor
36 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Opening a can...but Grande Bay Rental

Do they even have a beach? Looked to me that it was directly on the sidewalk in shouting distance to the ferry.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,084 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Opening a can...but Grande Bay Rental

No beach, in fact beachfront on STJ is almost non existant.

Martha- Harborview is our backup, just wanted something a little higher end. I have a feeling we will end up there again, and be perfectly happy

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
592 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Opening a can...but Grande Bay Rental

We own a timeshare at the WEstin, have stayed in several villas, at Caneel, Gallows and at Grande Bay -- each place has it's pluses and minuses.,,,WE enjoy them all!

Here are the links to the 2 GB units we have stayed at! Email me if you have questions! Both are Penthouse units

lower building http://www.vrbo.com/274240

upper building http://www.vrbo.com/276983

When you email anyone on VRBO, always ask for their "best" price!

Texas
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
7. Re: Opening a can...but Grande Bay Rental

I know the masses hate GB but we were looking at them while we were walking along the beach after picking up some Beach Bar Bushwackers. They appear to be very nice. And they are not going anywhere so that is a good thing. In time they will become just as accepted as Wharfside Village. I am very interested in hearing what you think about them. They appeared to have a parking garage on the first floor. I wonder if that is available to renters.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Opening a can...but Grande Bay Rental

Yes, a parking spot comes with your rental unless you're renting a studio, then there's no parking spot included with the rental, is my understanding. I personally have no objection to Grande Bay, for us they're a great option, reasonably priced, great amenities and have central AC, something that is a must for us and hard to find, we also like the location of the resort. To each their own though, everyone is entitled to theirbown opinions.

Valdosta, Georgia
Level Contributor
102 posts
23 reviews
9. Re: Opening a can...but Grande Bay Rental

My husband and I stayed at a penthouse unit in the frt building last May. We felt like it was very nice. We chose to stay in a villa this year for more privacy. I would say though that it was still quiet for us especially being in a top level unit . We both agreed it was almost a different vacation for us than our trips to St. John due to we went to the beaches by day and then parke the Jeep in the reserved parking spot by about 3pm , sat on the large outdoor deck to enjoy the view and the ferries coming /going and then walked over to town for drinks and dinner. Overall, we were happy there. We had a 1 bedroom/1 1/2 bath unit with small kitchen and large deck.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Opening a can...but Grande Bay Rental

Yes they are convenient and hopefully many more high rise condos will be the result of their success -- the underutilized Cruz Bay waterfront real estate can soon look like everywhere else.