We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to St John...we're told lots of mosquitos at dusk

St. John
6 posts
First time to St John...we're told lots of mosquitos at dusk

Should we plan on bringing lots of bug spray?

Thanks

new york
Level Contributor
1,001 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: First time to St John...we're told lots of mosquitos at dusk

Plan on not wearing perfume or cologne,not being in the sand or beach unprotected at dawn or dusk,and plan on wearing bugspray and reapplying liberally....especially around your ankles.

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: First time to St John...we're told lots of mosquitos at dusk

That depends. During dry spells, there are very few Mosquitos to worry about. After rainy spells, they can be a real nuisance. Timing is everything. Bring a little bug spray, but there's plenty available on island, too, should you need it.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
606 posts
90 reviews
3. Re: First time to St John...we're told lots of mosquitos at dusk

It depends, weather plays a great factor - but some people are more susceptible to bites than others. I've had trips where I've not gotten a single bite and I've had trips where I was eaten alive. DH has escaped every trip bite free. We now carry it with us, but only find ourselves using it for evening strolls, dinner on the beach, etc. Just spraying my feet, ankles and up to my knees and I generally remain bite free.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,934 posts
38 reviews
4. Re: First time to St John...we're told lots of mosquitos at dusk

I have never gone to STJ without coming home with a ton of bites, granted, the little buggers like me too much, but bring your bug spray with DEET and use it. Also, stay off the beach at dawn and dusk as the no see ums are out in full force then. Make sure you do not bring sand into your accommodation.

Boston...
Level Contributor
37 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: First time to St John...we're told lots of mosquitos at dusk

just came back last night. never ran into a mosquito in the last week. brought bug stuff and neither of us ever used it. Conordia has a breeze, out on our deck all night long, not one bug at Skinny Legs for dinner or Concordia for happy hour. Ants are on the beaches though. We were glad to rent chairs.

6. Re: First time to St John...we're told lots of mosquitos at dusk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 18:18