We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we bring frozen meat in a cooler down with us?

St. John
6 posts
Should we bring frozen meat in a cooler down with us?

i am being advised to bring meat down that is frozen because of the high cost of meat on the island. We are 2 adults and 2 kids, 8 and 10. Is it worth it??? Would we really save that much that we should drag a cooler with us? Can anyone advise?

I also was told everything from spices, mac n cheese to cereal.

Thanks for your help, Kevin

NH
Level Contributor
851 posts
1 review
1. Re: Should we bring frozen meat in a cooler down with us?

This is a much debated subject- if you do a search you will find a lot of info. In short we aren't cooler people. We bring a few things that fit in our carry on- coffee, trail mix, mixed nuts. A good basic estimate puts prices about 25% higher then the states. If I was traveling with an 8 and 10 year old I would bring snack foods.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
331 posts
117 reviews
2. Re: Should we bring frozen meat in a cooler down with us?

We go down for 2 weeks in May and took some meat from Omaha, a few steaks, hot dogs, chicken, hamburgs, etc. We also froze an orange juice. Keeps the meat cold. We missed out flight and had to overnite in San Juan, the hotel took our package and put it in their refrig for the night, next morning our flight was 2 hrs late for the STT flight, had to take the Red Hook ferry, arrived in St. John around noon, we were staying at the Westin, once in the room, opened the package and all was still frozen......with a family, it's worth it just for hamburgs and hot dogs!

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Should we bring frozen meat in a cooler down with us?

I'm a cooler person, but I don;t bring it to save money but to ensure the quality of the meat I eat is what I like. I don't eat much meat, but when I do, it is USDA prime grade. I bring down a standing rib roast or some NY strips. I also bring my own chicken, yogurt, coffee creamer, cheese, milk and use frozen bottled water to keep everything cold. It's more of a preference choice than a money saving choice.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Should we bring frozen meat in a cooler down with us?

We found plenty of items at the grocery stores and didn't seem shocked at the prices, they were higher than here, no doubt but we still saved a TON simply staying in a villa over being at a hotel and having to eat out every meal that the price difference between the groceries there and here seemed inconsequential. To me, there's enough to drag along when traveling with 2 kids(mine are close to your kids' age) that a cooler is just one more thing to drag through the airport.

Edited: 27 February 2011, 11:35
Syracuse NY
Level Contributor
98 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Should we bring frozen meat in a cooler down with us?

We have become cooler people. I bought a $10 dollar soft sided cooler at BJ"s wholesale club. While there I bought pork tenderloin, Italian sausage links, breakfast sausage, London Broil, and hot dogs and bulk burger. I don't need high end meat, just handy... I packed it from the freezer to the cooler at 4:00am, 5:30 flight from Syracuse NY, arrived at the villa at 6:30 pm.... everything was still frozen solid. We were six adults, and alternated eating out or grilling on the deck every other night. Oh, and I thew in min candy bars, granola bars etc, We stay on the Coral Bay side, and buy all the sides for dinner at Lily's Market. We don't head back to the "city" until its time to leave.

Boston...
Level Contributor
36 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Should we bring frozen meat in a cooler down with us?

just returned last night. we brought a carry on soft sided duffel with 3 lbs of bacon, chicken sausage and steak tips. Also brought sliced cheese and deli sandwhich meat. All carry on for all our luggage. Wish we brought more cheese. Starfish market was great for fresh rolls, peppers etc. They did have good quality meat, but pricey. Bag of chips at Starfish- $6. Quart of ice cream at Concordia- $10. also brought coffee, trail mix, cheese crackers and crystal light. Wish I brought 2 long sleeve shirts and one less dress. Spent a ton on sun screen. No bugs at all at Concordia from the 19th to the 26th.

Edited: 28 February 2011, 01:48
Canton, Michigan
Level Contributor
200 posts
7. Re: Should we bring frozen meat in a cooler down with us?

Take steaks! Rumor has it that St. John steaks are actually Donkey meat!

Just kidding of course. I bought a New York strip at Dolphin and it was excellent. As others said it was about 25% more than in the states.

We took Omaha steaks in a softside cooler. Just freeze the meat, put it in plastic bags and wrap with a towel (for condensation). The meat will still be frozen by the time you get to St. J. Don't put any ice in your cooler. It's liquid, not allowed on a carry on.

Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Should we bring frozen meat in a cooler down with us?

Do people who take coolers carry them on or check them?

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Should we bring frozen meat in a cooler down with us?

I check it. I have a soft sided ziptop rolling cooler. On the return trip I pack up some liquor wraped in towels and t shirts. Never had a broken bottle in 6 trips which I have brought a cooler down.

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
706 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Should we bring frozen meat in a cooler down with us?

I always tell people not to worry if they forget something because you're not going to outer Mongolia. StJ has just about everything you'd need but at a significantly higher price. I take the more expensive stuff like good cuts of steak, lamb, even a whole pork tenderloin, shrimp and smoked salmon. If we do not have a direct flight to STT, I will take it with us in carry-on just in case there is any delay in getting our checked in luggage. It is significant savings for us, something like $50-100 and we get exactly what we want so we find that it's worth the little extra bit of preparation.