We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches within walking distance to Charlotte Amalie

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
3 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches within walking distance to Charlotte Amalie

We are thinking of taking the water taxi from our cruise Ship to Charlotte Amalie for sightseeing and would like to spend some time on the beach as well. Is there a beach within walking distance of Charlotte Amalie? Is there a better recommendation for shopping/sightseeing and beach on St. Thomas?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
6 replies to this topic
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,624 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches within walking distance to Charlotte Amalie

I'm not sure why you would take a water taxi from either cruise ship port to Charlotte Amalie as both ports are right there in town (Charlotte Amalie), one at the Eastern end of the waterfront and one at the Western end. As far as I know there's no water taxi service that even offers it. You can walk from the WICO dock at Havensight into town in about 15 minutes or from either port it's a $4 taxi ride. There's no beach within walking distance of either cruise ship port but if your ship is docking at Crown Bay it's a short taxi hop to Lindbergh Bay or Brewer's Bay.

If you're looking for a combination of beach, sightseeing and shopping then best advice is to see what the ship-sponsored tours offer as they have several different combinations to suit most.

Mentioned in this post
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
3 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches within walking distance to Charlotte Amalie

Thanks, I think its a scenic boat ride offered through the cruise. This only takes us to Charlotte Amalie so we may rethink. Thanks for the info. Do you recommend Mages Bay?

Mentioned in this post
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,624 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches within walking distance to Charlotte Amalie

Magens Bay is one of my favorite places on earth. Many of the ship sponsored tours offer it with their beach/sightseeing/shopping combinations. You could have a tour of the island (nice to have a narrator to tell you where you are, what you're seeing and some of the island's incredible history) and then a few hours at the beach. If the tour goes right back to the ship, many will drop you in town to look around and shop and then you can take a taxi back to the ship. If you're docking at the Havensight facility, there are tons of shops right around there carrying everything from fine jewelry to souvenir knick-knacks and tee shirts.

Mentioned in this post
Magens Bay
Magens Bay
4,775 Reviews
St. Thomas
St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,454 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches within walking distance to Charlotte Amalie

I see one of the ships (Princess?) bringing people from Havensight to Charlotte Amalie using a green and white boat (Native Son?) It looks like it's a private arrangement between cruise line and boat owner.

When you take a taxi to a beach you get to see more of the island so consider it part of the adventure.

Mentioned in this post
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
3 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches within walking distance to Charlotte Amalie

This is very helpful, I appreciate the information. Magens Bay with island tour and shopping it is. Thanks so much, see you in August!

Mentioned in this post
Magens Bay
Magens Bay
4,775 Reviews
St. Thomas
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,624 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches within walking distance to Charlotte Amalie

Enjoy your day here and your cruise - hopefully you'll be inspired by your short time here to come back for a longer vacation so you can really explore!

Reply to: Beaches within walking distance to Charlotte Amalie
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted