We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety

Staten Island, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
safety

for all you retired or active law enforcement have to find out if HR 218 applies in us territories to "carry"

4 replies to this topic
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,975 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety

lockstockanddaria.com/leosa-by-state-why-ret…

“9. U.S. Virgin Islands: This territory of United States does not recognize or accept any identification issued by another state. LEOs should not bring their concealed firearms with them if they visit this island. They have their own system to issue firearms licenses. They do issue permits to carry firearms to retired or active LEOs but all LEOs must meet their own requirements.”

Sorry, but if you feel that coming to the US Virgin Islands on vacation necessitates your bringing a firearm then coming here is probably not a good idea!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,222 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety

I have to agree!!! Spent a week on STX with my BFF girlfriend, drove all over the island (stopping at several 'locals' bars to ask directions (with map in hand) - we got lost a lot - LOL). In our defense, the roads aren't marked well, if at all.... The locals were nothing but friendly and we never felt unsafe. If you think you need to 'carry', please go someplace else...

Staten Island, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: safety

I agree just asked as a matter of law and curiosity .....most not all of the islands we visited were safe

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safety

STX is generally safe for vacationers but is not Utopia. Use common sense, stay out of dark alleys, don't get lost in the housing projects, don't flash money or expensive jewelry, don't leave stuff locked in the car, etc. and don't forget the good morning/afternoon/evening greetings.

Reply to: safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Christiansted