We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must Pack

MD
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Must Pack

Spent a week on St. Croix after Easter. We travel frequently and have an extensive packing list.

Three items we found essential for St. Croix are:

1. Reef safe sunscreen

2. Bug spray

3. Water shoes

Don't leave home without these 3 things!

12 replies to this topic
Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,310 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must Pack

Snorkeling gear and a neat sheet are my two.

United States
Level Contributor
106 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must Pack

What does one do with the sheet?

Thanks

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must Pack

Another vote for the Neat Sheet. Great for the beach. Ours is quite old. It has the weighted corners, though. I think I read that they are difficult to find now and that there’s something new out that’s made of parachute material.

United States
Level Contributor
106 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must Pack

Oh! I get it now... I am packing now, leaving Thursday for ten days.So very timely. Thanks a lot!

grand island, ny
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must Pack

Margy, We have a Parasheet. They have corners sewn in that you can fill with sand or a rock to weigh it down. The sand is easier on the toes! We got ours at Dicks Sporting Goods online. I thought they were just a gimmick until I bought one now I won't go on a beach vacation without one. They are so compact and lightweight, perfect for travel. They dry in minutes and the sand just falls off of them. It's one of my "must packs".

My underwater camera gear is one of my essential items. A water bottle. And bug spray. Lots of bug spray!

Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must Pack

Thanks, Gigi, I’m going to look into that. My new “must pack” is the Skin-So-Soft Bug Guard Plus Anti-Itch Spray. The best stuff I have ever used to take the itch out of bug bites. I didn’t think anything could ever measure up to Quit It from St. John Massage. It comes in a 2 oz bottle so perfect for the 3-1-1 bag. Got my first bottle free with some Avon Picardin products but just re-ordered for our March trip.

Crystal Springs...
Level Contributor
756 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must Pack

You can purchase your snorkel gear clothing that is spf . You don't need a lotion. Skin So Soft is good for kids ... it does not work well on adults. Water shoes are a must. Bring plenty of cash. Rent one of the new Jeeps from Centerline. Skip the resort menu's and go local grown and prepared.

Walpole...
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must Pack

Do you need to use bug spray just at night or daytime as well? Heading there Monday night and the AC broke so I know Windows will be open all night in the house. Just hope there are screens. Do we need to pack a strong DEET type of spray? Any info will help.

South Bend, Indiana
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must Pack

I spray down mostly at night now. It really depends where you are going to be. Now that we are having a Christmas Winds I dont need to spray down morning and night just to sit on balcony. But on the beach spraying during the day is advisable. It seems sunrises and sunsets are the bugs favorite time to attack!

grand island, ny
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must Pack

The sand fleas don't seem to be that repelled by bug spray according to some. They are very tiny and can't sting through much, unlike mosquitoes, so I have read that putting an oil on your lower legs helps because the tiny fleas can't sting through the oil. I spray my legs and feet tops to the point of them being oily (so a pretty heavy spray) and I've had good luck doing that. I never really cared much about getting a few mosquito bites( until the Zika & Chik outbreaks) but the sand flea bites itch me for a week or two so I really try to avoid them. I wear bug spray all the time when I am on vacation. It's just such a small inconvenience as compared to dealing with the stings.

Reply to: Must Pack
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Christiansted