We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

?s about St. Croix

Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
?s about St. Croix

My husband and I would like to visit St. Croix as we have been to STT and STJ and many other islands. In reading the forums it sounds like there isn't calm waters for snorkeling (?). Is there a better time of the year to visit over another? We love to snorkel and dive, I prefer snorkeling and will probably be living in the water. As for driving on the left side of the road....how did that go? Thank you for your attention to my questions.

8 replies to this topic
Fishers, Indiana
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ?s about St. Croix

Not true. It depends on where you go. Sand Castle beach is a great calm beach. You can go along the coastline and see fish, spotted eagle rays, star fish. We like to go down the beach a little ways to the right of the pool entrance at Sand Castle's resort down to the small stone ruins of a house, then head straight out until you see large vessel sponge garden and colorful corals.

We like t snorkel the Frederiksted Pier (old pier pylons) and both sides of the new pier. Corals have great color there. However, if a cruise ship is in port, for safety reasons, you cannot snorkel.

Another snorkel you might consider is Buck Island but you will need to charter a boat. The color has improved over the last 10 year, but the schools of blue tangs, lobster, large coral heads are worth the trip.

I bought the book "St Croix Snorkeling Guide" and used it as my snorkeling bible the first couple of trips to St Croix. I bought it at Undercover Books on the island. I also think Amazon.com might have it.

I love Cane Bay, but conditions can be rough... we check it out the conditions first thing every morning... lots of sea fans, fish and coral.

After a day of snorkeling, we like to go out to eat. There are a lot of great places to eat. I especially love the people of this island, welcoming and polite.

As for driving on the left, you will get the hang of it, and the locals are tolerant of stupid mistakes you might make, they take it in stride, wave you on with a warm smile.

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ?s about St. Croix

Winds are heavier December-May making snorkeling on the North Shore iffy. However the West end beaches/surf are normally calm all year long making for good snorkeling almost anytime. Heavy rains during the rainy season in the fall can also decrease visibility for snorkeling and diving. Summer months are good for snorkeling/diving with warmest water temps except for when there's the occasional tropical storm.

We drive on the left with left hand drive cars and it doesn't take long to get used to. The majority of roads are one lane each direction with speed limits under 45. Just don't get distracted when making turns in intersections.

Crystal Springs...
Level Contributor
645 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ?s about St. Croix

I am a snorkel enthusiast. If it wasn't for the snorkeling I wouldn't go to St Croix. I cannot dive due to pulmonary issues. When the viz is good I see just as much as the scuba divers down to about 60'. Conditions can vary all around the island on any given day. My FAV distance snorkel is Davis Bay to Cane Bay ... if you should decide to try this route remember there can be a strong westerly so keep your eyes on the shore to know your location. I would recommend paddle gloves as well as long fins as sea conditions can change quickly. Usually Rainbow Beach and the F'std pier are relatively calm seas. There are snorkel trails at Buck Island as well as Tamarind Reef. There are also hidden gems that folks rarely visit. In the ideal situation you find a local you can buddy up with for exploring.

Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ?s about St. Croix

Thank you!

Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ?s about St. Croix

Thank you!

Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ?s about St. Croix

Thank you!

St. Croix
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ?s about St. Croix

A couple of other great snorkeling spots are: outside the reef at the east end of Shoys and the reef straight out from the Mermaid beach at the Buccaneer.

Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ?s about St. Croix

Thank you!

Reply to: ?s about St. Croix
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Christiansted