We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I pay for a shore excursion to St John?

Holden...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Should I pay for a shore excursion to St John?

Heading on the Harmony in August. We will be docking in St Thomas. Prices for family of 4 to go via Royal Caribbean shore excursion will be over 400. Willing to do it myself but don’t want to waste my day waiting for transportation. Would love to hear any ideas as well as thoughts on Trunk Bay? Interested in snorkeling but mostly visiting a beautiful beach that isn’t insanely busy. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
St. Thomas
St. Thomas
U.S. Virgin Islands
Trunk Bay
Trunk Bay
2,652 Reviews
St. John
5 replies to this topic
McKinney, Texas
Level Contributor
383 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I pay for a shore excursion to St John?

Hi Heather. There's plenty on STT to keep you busy, but STJ is a great place to visit and you may fall in love with it like so many of us have and decide to come back and spend an entire week.

If you decide to go on your own and save a little money, you would take a taxi to Red Hook (approx. 35 minute ride) and hop on a ferry (runs on the hour) to STJ (approx. 20 minutes). From there, you can grab a waiting taxi and have them take you to some of the North Shore beaches like Trunk, Cinnamon, Maho, etc. Just prearrange transportation back at a set time with them so that you can reverse your trip back in time to get to your ship. I think the lure of the cruise ship package is that they drop you off at the beaches on a tender, so it's easier to get to. Whichever you decide, happy planning!

Mentioned in this post
Red Hook
Red Hook
St. Thomas
Maho Beach
Maho Beach
1,710 Reviews
St. John
Holden...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I pay for a shore excursion to St John?

Thank you!!! Do you have a preference which beach? Any options to eat? Thank you!

McKinney, Texas
Level Contributor
383 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I pay for a shore excursion to St John?

Honestly, my favorite was always Maho because of all the turtles you would see while swimming, but we stay on STJ and pack in a cooler w/ lunch. If you get dropped off at Maho, Cinnamon or Trunk, there are no concessions on the beach so you'll want to stop by a deli or something. Instead of taking a taxi to either of those, you could opt to go through VIecotours and take a dingy ride from Cruz Bay over to Honeymoon beach. You can purchase a day pass that would include chair, umbrella and equipment rentals. There's a small snack shack there for hamburgers, drinks, etc.

https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Maho Beach
Maho Beach
1,710 Reviews
St. John
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
Houston, Texas
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I pay for a shore excursion to St John?

If you’re looking for a beautiful, uncrowded beach then Trunk bay is where you should go. Hands down one of the prettiest beaches I’ve ever seen, and I’ve been to many islands. $400 is overpriced but if you want to make the most of your limited time on the island that may be the way to go. An alternative would be taking a taxi from cruise ship port to Red Hook (about $20 RT/ pp), then taking the ferry over to cruz bay in St John it’s about a 15 min ride ($16 RT / pp). There are taxis waiting at the ferry dock to take you to trunk bay and other beaches, about a 15 min ride ($12 RT/ pp).

Last week I took the 9am ferry to Cruz bay and was on trunk bay by 9:30. Just an example to show you it doesn’t take much time to do on your own if you time it right. Ferry between RH & Cruz runs every hour both ways.

Mentioned in this post
Red Hook
Red Hook
St. Thomas
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,610 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I pay for a shore excursion to St John?

Usually ship excursions include a drink and sometimes a snack in addition to chair and Snorkel. Transportion only to Trunk Bay is $52. If you add chair ($7?), snorkel ($10), and a drink, you may end up spending about $70 per person if you do it on your own.

The ship excursion may not give you enough time to have a relaxing beach day. The time allotted for an excursion includes travel time to the destination and that could be up to an hour each way.

Many people go independently.

Mentioned in this post
Trunk Bay
Trunk Bay
2,652 Reviews
St. John
Reply to: Should I pay for a shore excursion to St John?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted