We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about US Immigration

United States
Level Contributor
628 posts
4 reviews
Questions about US Immigration

I live in mainland US, I am NOT a US citizen, but I have my US Drivers License which I use as proof of identity whenever I fly within US. In case of flying to/from USVI, can I still use my US Drivers License? Or do I need to carry Passport?

1. At the time of departing from USVI to mainland US - do you need to go through US Immigration at the departing airport in USVI?

2. After arrival in mainland US from USVI - do you need to go through US Immigration? Or is it similar to a domestic flight where you can directly exit the airport after arrival?

Appreciate your help! Thanks!

3 replies to this topic
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
16,267 posts
22 reviews
1. Re: Questions about US Immigration

You go through immigration on exiting the US Virgin Islands and since you're not a US citizen you will need your passport and proof of residency in the US (Green Card or visa). You don't go through immigration again once you've reached the mainland.

United States
Level Contributor
628 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Questions about US Immigration

Thanks for your reply. So I need to go through Immigration when exiting the US Virgin Islands. Is it the same as the immigration when entering US from any foreign country? In other words, is it same as the "Port of Entry" wherein my "Status" in the US will be determined by the CBP officer? And do I get a new I-94 in this case?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
16,267 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Questions about US Immigration

Yes. You don't through customs and immigration entering but you do when leaving.

The US Virgin Islands ARE a designated Port of Entry into the US but I have no idea how this affects your I-94. This link might be of help:

https:/…i-94

You may want to contact CBP directly.

Reply to: Questions about US Immigration
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted