We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stomach Flu

Ipanema, Rio de...
Level Contributor
11 posts
62 reviews
Stomach Flu

Hello. I´m arriving on Monday all the way from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Any update on the stomach flu? There´s no way I can cancel the trip anymore. Thank you very much.

Missouri
Level Contributor
322 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Stomach Flu

TCIG should have some test results today.

Personally, I suspect the water distribution system in the Grace Bay area. Tests for total coliform should show a presence or absence of e-coli bacteria.

If I were travelling to TCI and had concerns, I would follow the precautions we take when we travel to Mexico. From one of my earlier posts:

When going to Mexico, everyone in our family takes 2 Pepto-Bismol

tablets per day beginning 5 days before the trip, one during the trip and one for 3 days after returning. In over 20 trips to Mexico with 4 kids, we have never had a stomach problem.

hp
Level Contributor
360 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Stomach Flu

Oi! Carioca...enjoy the trip, follow the precautions and hopefully you will avoid whatever is inflicting many.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Stomach Flu

This story has made the news here in Toronto. Seen it on CP24 this AM.

Stated

Health authorities in the Turks and Caicos are trying to ID the source of a virus outbreak that is sickening tourists.

Luiz

Drink bottled water and use it to brush your teeth. Wash your hands with soap and water etc.

I hope that you have a great holiday.

PA
Level Contributor
171 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Stomach Flu

If the water is contaminated, this is an entirely different scenario then a norovirus.

Providenciales
Level Contributor
21 posts
5. Re: Stomach Flu

Luis,

I am told that the resorts checked their water last weekend and have been given a clean bill of health - this is almost certainly the norovirus, the second most common sickness in the US after the common cold.

Per one of our local doctors this is extreamely unusual for this island as we enjoy very high standards of hygiene.

Now that everyone is aware of it, it is certainly being brought quickly under control, and many resorts appear to have no cases.

I'm sure a call or email to your resort will clarify this for you. If they do have any sick guests in-house simply ask to be transferred to another similar resort.

Enjoy your journey, and just take the normal precautions when travelling - washing hands often.

Susan

PA
Level Contributor
171 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Stomach Flu

Good to know. We are almost into single digits for our countdown.

7. Re: Stomach Flu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 May 2012, 04:01
PA
Level Contributor
171 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Stomach Flu

People are concerned, nothing wrong with trying to seek information. So far, we have avoided postings bashing people for being concerned. Let's see if we can continue that.

Peachland, Canada
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
1 review
9. Re: Stomach Flu

Susan F

FYI - A poster on the thread Current Stomach Flu Topic..I have a 4 yr old....Pat 554... is a close friend of the gentleman who passed away yesterday and she was told it was NOT a heart attack..but the virus. This news contradicts all your posts of yesterday saying that it was a heart attack. As someone pointed out .. heart attacks are often given as a cause until more reliable information is uncovered.

Edited: 25 May 2012, 05:44
Frisco, Texas
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
10. Re: Stomach Flu

Luiz,

I understand your concerns....we too will be on the island soon so this issue is on the forefront of our minds, as I'm sure it is for several others that plan to be in Provo in the near future.

Best advice we've been given IMO (since cancelling plans for us is not something we can affordably do at this point) is to be proactive, viligant & prepared.

And really, always better to wait on official reports re: the incidences/situations (on all perspectives) that are being posted, if at all possible. Otherwise, all we can do is use our best judgement (based on what we know & how we would react in similar situations elsewhere) to make the best decisions for ourselves.