We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches - Club Med- Gansevoort or Regent Grand?

Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Topic
Beaches - Club Med- Gansevoort or Regent Grand?

I'm heading down on Friday the 28th for a week and have not booked a hotel yet as I'm fairly torn between these (and others keep popping up). I was thinking an all inclusive would be good in terms of not worrying about most meals- but am concerned that Beaches may have too many kids running around; have been reading that Club Med is quite old, beat up, a bit dirty and not worth the price paid- but fun for singles looking to have some fun while they relax; Gansevoort seems nice enough as does the Regent- but if I'm spending that much, want to make 'certain' it's the right choice.

While there I'll look to do some snorkeling, kayaking, exploring the island (is it easy enough to ride bikes places if you're fairly fit or do you need a car?) and relax on the beach. At night- Danny Buoy's sounds like my kind of place- but would be up for exploring a few watering holes to relax at in the evening.

Lot of info here and lot's of questions. Really appreciate any feedback/ thoughts on this.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,429 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches - Club Med- Gansevoort or Regent Grand?

Just my personal opinion.

Beaches....No ...families it is very nice.

Club Med....No.....old and dated...but nice beach frontage.

Regent Grand ...Not all Inclusive

Nicest of the 3 mentioned.

We would stay here in a heart beat.

Love the suites

love the pool

love the central location

love that it is close to the new IGA and Regent Village and Salt Mills

this property is self-catering...but very nice.

And....many other great options to choose from.

What is MOST important to you in your accommodations?

Mike

Edited: 24 January 2011, 08:48
Chicago, Illinois
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches - Club Med- Gansevoort or Regent Grand?

Wow- thanks for the quick response. That's a tough one. All inclusive is not a deal breaker at all- especially if the resort itself isn't worth the money. The top 3 things I'm looking for is a resort where a mid-30 single male isn't out of place (not looking to hang with a bunch of honeymooners or a people twice my age- hence concern about Beaches and families). I also want it to be fairly central- prefer not to have to rent a car to go out at night and am happy walking a couple miles (3 or so each way not bad) to get to places to go out. Not sure how crowded things are, but am assuming centrally located on the island won't be too crowded. Third- things to do while at the resort. Would be great if the resort had some water sports, or a tennis pro to hit with or something to change it up a bit over the stay.

Now that I look at the list- that's probably the order of the top 3. I'm not a big foodie- so restaurants aren't that important to me.

Again- the resorts I noted are not etched in stone. They're the ones that came up as possibly fitting the bill as I did research. if there is a better option I'm not considering- then I'd be open to it.

Thanks!

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
7,429 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches - Club Med- Gansevoort or Regent Grand?

Ok....single male.....then I would say Club Med.

Not the greatest accommodations...but I think it might be better for a single guy.

Mike

Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Providenciales
Level Contributor
4,820 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches - Club Med- Gansevoort or Regent Grand?

Agree with Mike, not Beaches or Club med.

I would look into The Sands, they might have a few families there, but the bar is very lively and you can eat dinner right there or walk in either direction to great restaurants. They have non motorized water sports included, the rates are mid priced and the suites are nice and beach-y.

Gansevoort is much more chic and hip in the look and feel, but I think you will find more honeymooners or older couples.

Regent Grand is lovely, love the look and location, however, I think for a single it would be too quiet. Not that The Sands is busy and loud, just more people are around to talk to.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
865 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches - Club Med- Gansevoort or Regent Grand?

I don't know that this is always possible, but when a friend and I were at the Regent Palms in November, our travel agent got us a meal plan with our reservation. Three meals a day, no limitations on what you could choose from the menu. We found the food at Regent Palms to be excellent, so had no problem eating most of our meals there. We did however, try a few other restaurants as well to mix things up a bit.

I would say the Regent Palms was quiet, which suited us perfectly, but we never really found it difficult to meet and talk with other guests. The hot tub was a prime spot for socializing :) There were a few children there during our stay, but they were not overly loud or ill-behaved. A fair mix of ages represented among the guests.

We liked the fairly central location of the Regent Palms - nice length of beach walk in either direction.

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,369 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches - Club Med- Gansevoort or Regent Grand?

You commented: " Club Med is quite old, beat up, a bit dirty and not worth the price paid- but fun for singles looking to have some fun while they relax;"

Old: built about mid-80s so is old compared to most Provo resorts; it was essentially the first resort on the island. Beat-up: yes, it could use some renovation to fix things up some. Rumors are that it will get a make-over in the next year or so. Dirty: not really... it is kept pretty clean. As with any facility this age in the caribbean, there is occasional mold or dirt, but they keep after it pretty well. In 8 visits we've never had a problem with dirt or mold, and my wife is rather "fussy" about such things. "Not worth the price paid": Don't pay list price! Club Med is always running significant specials that make it very attractive from a $$ standpoint. Make sure you deal with a travel agent who is very familiar with (specializes in) Club Med so you get the best deal.

For a single person looking to relax and do a little exploring, and perhaps get in some sports, Club Med might be just the place.

New York
Level Contributor
716 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches - Club Med- Gansevoort or Regent Grand?

When I go by myself (single male) I stay at Club Med. Property is huge, rooms were updated. Not as good as the condo resorts but beach and value for money and meeting a ton of people is worth it

8. Re: Beaches - Club Med- Gansevoort or Regent Grand?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2012, 16:30