We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grace Bay area compared to 2005?

Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,807 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Grace Bay area compared to 2005?

Stayed at Royal West Indies and enjoyed the relative quiet on the breach along with great restaurants and exploring other areas. There were condo blogs going up along the beach then, has there been a ton of condo development since? Has it changed the experience there on Grace Bay?

10 replies to this topic
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
3,947 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grace Bay area compared to 2005?

I so wish we could turn the clock back on Grace Bay circa 2005, or even 2010....

I honestly don't think much has changed in the immediate area of RWI. Walk a bit to the west of RWI, and if you haven't been on the island since 2005, you'll really see the changes.

Mullica Hill, New...
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos, Providenciales
Level Contributor
7,271 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grace Bay area compared to 2005?

It has been a dramatic change since 2005. Several 7 story buildings and now a 12 story one under way. Easily twice as many people on the beach. But we still like RWI and stay there on occasion, so I would still go.

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos, Grace Bay, Grand Turk
Level Contributor
12,410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Grace Bay area compared to 2005?

Yes X 2. Dr. Jim

Edited: 14 May 2018, 12:36
Level Contributor
259 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grace Bay area compared to 2005?

I don’t real do the main bit of GB seems a little like everyone likes to sit next to one another when 90% of the island beaches are empty

I have been coming since 2005, you will notice busier roads and a few more restaurants, the beach hasn’t changed it’s still stunning

Finger Lakes Wine...
Level Contributor
8,747 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grace Bay area compared to 2005?

It is more developed over the years.

Our first visit was in 2004 and we have witnessed the growth over our return visits.(26x)

More resorts and tourists,,,,,but it still is our favorite beach vacation destination. (2x) on the books

Mike

Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,807 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grace Bay area compared to 2005?

Thanks all! Will do more research and plan our return!

Riviera Maya, Mexico
Level Contributor
7,807 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grace Bay area compared to 2005?

Another question, we read years ago that the Mango Reef had moved from the RWI to Turtle Cove Marina. We enjoyed many excellent dinners there when it was located at RWI, still one of the best T-bone steaks we've had. Is that restaurant still very good? And Pelican Bay at RWI has so so reviews - any experience with that restaurant? Any other favs?

TIA!

Detroit, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos, Grace Bay, Grand Turk
Level Contributor
12,410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Grace Bay area compared to 2005?

Bluewater. I still like Mango Reef @ their new Turtle Cove location. Stayed @ Grandview for 2 weeks in 2015. Ate twice @ Pelican Bay next door. Was just an okay dinner experience both times that didn't involve driving our van rental. Dr. Jim

Edited: 25 May 2018, 01:28
Bucks County...
Level Contributor
3,111 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grace Bay area compared to 2005?

We like Mango Reef for lunch more so than dinner. Loved the location at the Alexandra, but the Turtle Cove location is nice.

We had breakfast at Pelican Bay on our last trip and wouldn't recommend it. Breakfast was expensive for what we got (which is to be expected) but service was pretty bad - they were so disinterested in serving us, it was almost comical. I must prefer Hemingway's for breakfast.

I'm trying to decide if we should go to Pelican Bay on our next trip for the Lobster buffet night. Not sure if it's worth it or not and the reviews aren't helping much...

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Grace Bay area compared to 2005?

2005 would be nice to return too. 1999 would be better. As long as we're time traveling.

As you got a glimpse of in 2005, when buildings were going up left and right. Well sad to say that continues today. You be the judge, would be interested in your impressions after your return.

Reply to: Grace Bay area compared to 2005?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted