We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Club Med - Any Effects from Hurricane?

New York City
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Club Med - Any Effects from Hurricane?

Has the resort been affected at all and would there be any problem with visiting in a week or so?

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Club Med - Any Effects from Hurricane?

There was a report over on Club Med Planet that a couple of trees are down (normal for a storm) and some roof shingles are missing (again, normal for a storm) but there is no major or structural damage.

I suspect you will be able to see some of the effects of the hurricane, but it should not affect your stay there. Remember that the standing water from the flooding will result in more mosquitoes than normal, so I'd suggest you take plenty of insect repellent.

New York City
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Club Med - Any Effects from Hurricane?

Also, the forecast says scattered thunderstorms every day but 90 degrees. Is that normal?

Marietta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations, Bonaire
Level Contributor
4,275 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Club Med - Any Effects from Hurricane?

Absolutely normal.. but you have to remember what "scattered thunderstoms" means. It means there there are some thunderstorms passing over the island each day, mostly in the afternoons and evening. They are very scattered. The chance of you getting wet at all any one day is about 20%. If you do get wet it will probably be a brief (less than 30 minutes) shower, with or without lightening/thunder.

Obviously, 90 degrees is hot, but there is usually a bit of a breeze so it generally does not feel too hot. On days when the wind dies completely, it can feel very hot. Wind or not, remember to use plenty of sun block.

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Club Med - Any Effects from Hurricane?

I arrived at Turkoise yesterday afternoon. The Club looks like Irene had minimal effect. 10 trees were downed, others were unintentionally "trimmed." I also heard from various GO's that a couple windows were broken a several buildings had leaks. I've seen NO standing water here. Parts of both docks are completely covered with sand, and the dock nearer to village center lost a few boards during the hurricane. I've never seen the bottom of the docks so close to the water (the waves are hitting the horizontal lower boards!). I'm am amazed (and grateful) that, in two days, the GOs (and some GMs) cleaned up Tuesday and Wednesday's rearrangement of the beach, pool areas and other exposed common areas so it appeared CLEAN!

BTW, except for more shells, coral fragments and a few small tree ranches, the sand is still white and the ocean is still that incredible turquoise that the resort is named for. Pictures on the company's FB page.

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Club Med - Any Effects from Hurricane?

I arrived at Turkoise yesterday afternoon. The Club looks like Irene had minimal effect. 10 trees were downed, others were unintentionally "trimmed." I also heard from various GO's that a couple windows were broken a several buildings had leaks. I've seen NO standing water here. Parts of both docks are completely covered with sand, and the dock nearer to village center lost a few boards during the hurricane. I've never seen the bottom of the docks so close to the water (the waves are hitting the horizontal lower boards!). I'm am amazed (and grateful) that, in two days, the GOs (and some GMs) cleaned up Tuesday and Wednesday's rearrangement of the beach, pool areas and other exposed common areas so it appeared CLEAN!

BTW, except for more shells, coral fragments and a few small tree ranches, the sand is still white and the ocean is still that incredible turquoise that the resort is named for. Pictures on the company's FB page.

6. Re: Club Med - Any Effects from Hurricane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 18:18